Mobile Theater

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by HuynH, Mar 27, 2002.

1. HuynH

HuynH Extra

Hi, I am looking for some info about mobile video. Here are some questions that arose durinig my search:

1. What should I be looking for/avoiding in choosing a system? (brand?)

2. Are all LCD's alike? looking for the largest screen.

3. Looking for a ceiling mounted unit, will this will most likely affect rearview. Has anyone had any trouble with this?

4. Are there major differences in the DVD players? Looking for one that can play 16:9. Indash or Out?

5. Is there such thing as surround sounds for auto theater?

6. Lastly, this will go in an Honda Odyssey w/ beige interior. Color matching available?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

2. HuynH

HuynH Extra

Is this the right forum to post these questions?

3. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

Depends on what you want. Is this for kids?
    A few things to remember.
    In dash players don't work if the emergency brake is NOT on. This is a saftey feature to keep the drivers eyes on the road.
    There are surrounds for the system. They are the normal speakers. You can buy a 5.1 processor to go along with you DVD player.
    This is probably the better DVD player. http://www.blaupunktusa.com/video/video_01_dvdme1.html
    If this is really for kids and not for you then you might be better of going to CC or somewhere and having a RF kit put in. That way the kids can watch a movie while you and the wife listen to the radio or talk.
    A good forum for this kind of stuff is www.carsound.com

4. HuynH

HuynH Extra

Micheal,

thanks for the tips and the other forum, I will check it out.

This is for the kids but why not for me too. Would it be wise to buy a monitor that can support multiple inputs and just plug in a PS2 or other sources? How would I handle the sound in that situation?

5. MichaelGomez

There are a lot of monitors that have headphone jacks or little speakers. The only problem with the playstation2 is that it doesn't do well in motion. The laser mechanism doesn't float like other players so it skips a lot more.
    Personally, I would try something like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1342560630
    I am only linking to this because it shows everything. I would definately do some research before buying anything of Ebay. Matter-o-fact, you would be better getting this from a car stereo shop.

6. HuynH

HuynH Extra

New strategy, I could get a CD/DVD changer unit such as Pioneer's XDV-P9 or the Sony's DVX-100 and a stand-alone monitor (ceiling mounted). These changer units can be stand-lone or used with a A/V HU. Then I can route it's sound out to a DD or DTS proccessor to get my surrounds.

See any holes in that?

7. MichaelGomez

OK, I have a pioneer 7200 that has an AUX function. Just for TV or whatever. If you bought a monitor and a DVD player like the one I showed you above, you could hook it up as a stand alone or to the CD player and play the sound through the car stereo. You only need the processor if you want DD 5.1 sound. Then you have to put in FR, FL, center, and surounds. Not to mention the sub. Now my car has the 4 cabin speakers, and 2 12" rockford fosgate HX2 subs. The center channel is a very big problem. It usually takes remoldeling of the dash.