Mobile Photo Blogging? (software/programmer guys...need some help figuring this out)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Buzz Foster, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster Second Unit

I was doing some searching last night, and found a name for one of the things I want to do with my personal web site:

Mobile Photoblogging

Splashblog seems to be an easy-to-use tool for this, though I really would prefer to have my photos on my own website, and not on someone else's.

I plan to replace my aging Samsung i500 with a new treo 700p (Palm version, not Windows version). It has a built-in camera, and also has an SD slot. The Canon S3 IS camera I have also has an SD slot, so it would be really cool if I could swap the cards and upload full-res pics and videos from my camera, as well as cameraphone pics and videos.

Either way, stuff goes up immediately. (Or maybe I can just upload and store some things if I want.)

I don't know anything about programming, but I can follow directions really well. If I have instructions to use a hosting service that utilizes X, Y, and Z, I can do that. I do know that some hosting services have lots of stuff that you just point and click together into a site. I want easy group photo sharing, as well as my own albums, a blog to neglect, and maybe a message board.

I'm essentially wanting a place where I can have communication with friends and family via text, video, pics, etc. Sort of an "all-in-one" stop for what is happening in my life.

Can I use some of the photoblogging stuff listed in the first link, and if so, what hosting services do I need to make it work? Or am I just better off with the Splashblog service? I'd really like to find a hosting service that can do it all in an easy point-and-click interface.

Thanks!

2. Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster Second Unit

I figured this to be a little more general than a strictly PC question, but perhaps it would do better in the computer forum. Could a mod be so kind as to zap it on over there?