What's new

Mobile Fidelity announces new Little Richard mono SACD (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
How are mono recording split up between 5 channels? I've been curious to get the DVD-A of Pet Sounds, but am kinda leary of it. I'm pressuming most SACD split up the sound. (I don't actually own a SACD player, I'm just curious.)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It says hybrid, which means it has a regular CD layer (which is normally stereo), but it doesn't say which format the SACD will be - multichannel, mono or stereo. SACD does not HAVE to be "split up", and in fact, a number of SACDs I have sound better in 2ch than multichannel due to gimmicky mixing.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

While they are a number of SACDs without a mono/stereo hi-rez mix (scroll to bottom of page for list), Sony/Philips mandated that SACDs to have a 2-channel stereo or a mono mix for its hi-rez layer. In fact, multi-channel surround is optional.

The link to the Music Direct page for the Little Richard SACD mentioned that this is a mono SACD.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

Good golly miss molly...well Danny, what label threw this old bone to Mofi? Does Sony own the rights to this one...?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

On stevehoffman.tv, a post mentioned that Specialty Records is a part of Concord's Fantasy division. I don't think Sony has any involvement with this Little Richard SACD.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

Thanks Danny! I saw the beginning of that thread but not the latter part yet. It seems the majors own everything with any name recognition..... Universal, eh!

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I believe the Eloquence series SACDs may have an even bigger "flaw" than no two channel hi-res. The series is available on CD and is listed as encoded with AMSI (from what I've been able to gather, it is some sort of matrix surround encoding that is supposed to enhance the experience of using Pro Logic (and Pro Logic II, I presume). It is possible the "MCH" mixes are based on these matrixed recordings rather than discrete re-mixes. I'm not equipped to ascertain this one way or the other, but as I've read about at least one label doing something similar in DVD-A/DualDisc (can't remember the label's name, unfortunately), I think it is possible. I have tried Pro Logic II with the Eloquence CDs and I fail to hear the enhancement. Still sounds matrixed (and I've yet to find a matrixed surround for music that I like). On the other hand, the Eloquence CDs I have sound very good to excellent in standard 2 channel playback on CD (and they are quite cheap) so, perhaps, the way to go with them is via the CD route (especially if they are NOT providing hi-res 2 channel on their SACDs).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks