What's new

Mob City Season One (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
New series on TNT created by Frank Darabont. I've only seen the first episode, but I absolutely love it so far. The contemporary noir style reminds me of LA Confidential, but my favorite part is the hard boiled dialog. It's the best new show of the season.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I only saw the first hour as well. I had my reservations being on TNT, but I enjoyed it. A bit cheesy at times, but that might have been the intention.

I believe this is a 6 episode one-and-done miniseries, no?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
From what I can gather, it was planned as on-going, but it looks like TNT is treating it like a finite mini-series.

They're airing them two episodes at a time, so this will be quite short lived. Maybe TNT will greenlight a season two if it's performs well. However, it is not encouraging that they downgraded it to an "event" and is intent on burning them all off in a month.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Hanson said:
From what I can gather, it was planned as on-going, but it looks like TNT is treating it like a finite mini-series.

They're airing them two episodes at a time, so this will be quite short lived. Maybe TNT will greenlight a season two if it's performs well. However, it is not encouraging that they downgraded it to an "event" and is intent on burning them all off in a month.
Yeah looks like they are giving it the "Crusade" treatment

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Great looking show. Though, if Darabont wants to keep capturing night club singers I wish he'd film the singing live. The canned music is terrible.

Bernthal really does remind me of John Garfield. He's great for this type of show. And, I really like Ed Burns as Siegel. Who woulda thunk?

But, Jeremy Luke as Mickey Cohen? Wow, he's just terrible. It really hurts the show for me because Cohen is such a big part of the story.

I'll keep watching just for the great capturing of the era. Hopefully, the story gets a little better and less cliched. It definitely has potential.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Bernthal was good but I was a little distracted by the fact that he sounded so much like Andrew Lincoln does in The Walking Dead. I don't remember Bernthal sounding that way in The Walking Dead though. I know Lincoln is hiding an English accent, but I'm not sure what Bernthal's excuse is.

And I don't even know who Jeremy Luke is, but I would agree it seemed an odd casting.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Was looking forward to this, but totally spaced it out and forgot to record it. Being on TNT, for those who missed it like me, thankfully looks like everything is being repeated this weekend.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Scott Hanson said:
And I don't even know who Jeremy Luke is, but I would agree it seemed an odd casting.
I don't know who he is either...this is the first big role of his life. Which would be fine if he had a HUGE presence...but, he doesn't.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I so completely loving this show. It's so stylish and perfectly composed. A couple of shots stand out -- the cars that pull up in the airport, headlights flooding the tarmac. The POV from the pit as the cadre of gun toting gangsters start firing. It's gorgeous.

I'm loving how the narrative loops around and they dangle plot points that they elaborate on later. I'm sad this isn't going to continue -- this is as good as anything Darabont has ever done. Actually, I think this is the best thing Darabont has ever done.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
:lol:I wrote my rhapsodic post before I saw the bananal rape scene. It was definitely a different way to have a banana. And green to boot. I can't say it makes me love the show more, but I don't love it any less.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
If there was an emoticon to express crying, I'd post it here. It's sad to see Mob City fade away in the mists of "woulda, coulda, shoulda", but all signs point to that exact ending.

Which is too bad because I haven't been this gushy in love with a show since Orphan Black. Which wasn't that long ago, so it looks like I'll find a new crush next year to mend my broken heart, but I am broken hearted for now.

It would have been great to have a season two just for an episode with Fred Ward as Joe's father.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Finished up the series yesterday and if it doesn't come back that will be a shame. The show had style to burn and I thought the casting worked well (Luke didn't bother me as Mickey Cohen.) I liked the story structure and think that it will support multiple seasons if it is renewed.

A bit of a nitpick but the title of the series is way too generic and doesn't do the show any favors. (I've read that one of the alternative titles was Lost Angels and I think that would have been a better choice although I guess some segment of the population would have tuned in looking for a Supernatural or Touched by an Angel clone. :) )

Anyway, I really loved the style of the show from the costuming, the automobiles, the architecture, the hair styles, the lighting, etc. A really strong visual design that was incredibly effective and was as much a part of the series as any character or plot device. (I don't know the make and model of the car, but I loved the white convertible that Stax (Milo Ventimiglia) drove when he arrived at the upscale gambling house.)

- Walter.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Watched it, liked it a lot, though not quite on as high a level overall as BOARDWALK EMPIRE (maybe one notch down), imho, apart from the 1940s eye candy. If TNT does nothing more with it, this is really something Netflix should quickly pick up and continue, before the cast and crew part ways.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I finished watching it last but if I had one complaint, it would be that the most interesting part was essentially the cliffhanger (Mickey Cohen's rise). Nice work from all involved but I think since it was only on for 3 weeks, I'm not invested enough in the show to really care if it comes back or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks