Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough

Moana 3D Blu-ray Review

A Disney animated musical is always a comforting and welcome presence, and Moana, put together by the directors who brought us previous Disney animated musical classics like The Little Mermaid and Aladdin, carries on the tradition proudly only now using CG animation to tell its coming of age story.

[review]
Read more.

Reactions: B-ROLL

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
You liked the 3D version more than I did! I thought it looked fine but I didn't feel like the 3D added a whole lot to the movie.

The 3D for "Inner Workings" was REALLY unimpressive, though. As I watched, I kept forgetting it WAS 3D!

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Exceptional review, Matt! You precisely hit upon the exact same hallmarks of the film that I would have mentioned if I wrote a review. saw this in the theater and it first came out and was blown away by the animation, story, songs, characters, etc. This is definitely one of my all-time favorite Disney animated features and was disappointed that it is did not win the Oscar for best animated feature.

Reactions: Matt Hough

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
We who own large 3D Blu-ray libraries and 3D t.v. can only hope this isn't the last gasp of Disney releases. PETE'S DRAGON has still not been announced anywhere in the world in 3D.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think that says more about that movie's box office take than the end of 3-D. If it had been a hit, there'd have been a 3-D release somewhere by now.
Agreed. I think this is going to be the new way forward for a lot of studios - if the movie is a financial success, it'll be released in all formats. If the movie doesn't find its audience theatrically, the different home video versions will be more limited.

For similar examples, Universal is generally very good at releasing their films on BD3D, but they didn't do one for Seventh Son, and it appears they may forgo one for The Great Wall - both films were flops for them. Sony is also generally very good, but their upcoming Underworld sequel won't have a 3D release - it didn't do well at the box office. Meanwhile, their latest Resident Evil sequel, which did do okay at the box office, will get a 3D release.

I think that's what we're seeing here. Zootopia and Moana were big hits, so they got 3D releases at home. Pete's Dragon and The BFG flopped, so they're not. Disney's tough to figure out on this front, but in this specific case, I agree with Travis that it's more about the film being a flop than the studio forever shutting the door on 3D at home.

Last edited:
Reactions: B-ROLL and TravisR

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Okay, I agree there is a correlation between box office success and the release of 3D Blu-rays. However, has anyone any idea what a 3D disc requires in terms of authoring and replication? If not much, as I suspect, why can't studios include the 3D version as part and parcel of a UHD release (as happened with BILLY LYNN'S LONG HALFTIME WALK) or as a a Blu-ray release Bonus feature (as has happened quite a few times, including for THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON)?

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
I think that says more about that movie's box office take than the end of 3-D. If it had been a hit, there'd have been a 3-D release somewhere by now.
Agreed. I think this is going to be the new way forward for a lot of studios - if the movie is a financial success, it'll be released in all formats. If the movie doesn't find its audience theatrically, the different home video versions will be more limited.

For similar examples, Universal is generally very good at releasing their films on BD3D, but they didn't do one for Seventh Son, and it appears they may forgo one for The Great Wall - both films were flops for them. Sony is also generally very good, but their upcoming Underworld sequel won't have a 3D release - it didn't do well at the box office. Meanwhile, their latest Resident Evil sequel, which did do okay at the box office, will get a 3D release.

I think that's what we're seeing here. Zootopia and Moana were big hits, so they got 3D releases at home. Pete's Dragon and The BFG flopped, so they're not. Disney's tough to figure out on this front, but in this specific case, I agree with Travis that it's more about the film being a flop than the studio forever shutting the door on 3D at home.
Actually, the Underworld movie is getting a 3D release. It is a Best Buy exclusive.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayGeezy