What's new

Moana (2026)

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Next - they'll do animated versions of their live action classics! ;)

I mentioned this on another forum, but Disney kinda already turned some of their live-action films into animated films, chiefly Robin Hood (1952 live-action, 1973 animated) and to a lesser extent Treasure Island. Granted, both of those examples were before this whole remake-craze, but there is some level of precedence on that point.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't think anybody should be surprised that Disney is going to do this. Moana is a hugely popular title for them, so of course they want more of it. But what does surprise me is that it is happening so soon after the original film. They also previously announced an animated Moana series for Disney+, so it feels kind of odd to be developing both of these in parallel. It would make more sense to do followups to the animated version first and then do the remake down the line once the original franchise has run its course. Part of the appeal of the remakes (even the bad ones) is the nostalgia. Disney hasn't done anything new with The Little Mermaid in several years, so getting a new version of that with the remake feels more like an event. It's simply too soon for that effect to be there for something like Moana.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Lol, when I first read this I was thinking of animated versions of their live action versions of previous animated classics.

That's the next frontier!

Similar to

1. Hairspray (1988) -> Hairspray: Broadway musical (2001) -> Hairspray (2007)
2. The Producers (1967) -> The Producers: Broadway musical (2001) -> The Producers (2005)

The last adaptations were of the Broadway musicals, but the idea is similar... each version adapting the previous...

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It shouldn't be any surprise that they're doing this. It's similar to the trend of stage adaptations of movies.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Not surprised. She would have been perfect casting for a live action Moana when she voiced the character originally, but she's a woman in her twenties now. Cast a real teenager in the role. I'm glad they're respecting her contributions by keeping her involved behind the scenes, though.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Kail has a preexisting creative relationship with Lin-Manuel Miranda as the stage director of In the Heights and Hamilton. So this continues their partnership.

He was also announced some time ago to direct a remake of Fiddler On the Roof, which hasn't taken off. So I think Moana would be his first feature film. (The asterisk there is that he did direct the live film capture of Hamilton, but that was preserving his stage show, not a change in format.)

I still think it is too early and Disney should wait to do this after expanding the animated version first and do them in sequence. But if they're going to do it now, Kail is an interesting choice for the job.

I honestly wonder whether the reason for doing the remake now is because Dwayne Johnson wants to play Maui again. If they waited a couple decades for this as would make more sense, he might not be right for it then.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm glad they're respecting her contributions by keeping her involved behind the scenes, though.

I would be very surprised if she doesn't end up in the movie in some capacity other than as Moana. She can play a villager or something and have a cameo. Ming-Na Wen (Mulan) and Jodi Benson (Ariel) cameoed in the remakes of their respective films, and neither one was involved as a producer It shouldn't be difficult at all to find a place for Cravalho to pop up.

In other news, Disney scheduled the release date for June 27, 2025, which is less than nine years after the original. I still think that's crazy.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
How long will it take for Disney to officially move this live-action Moana off the June 2025 calendar now that the animated sequel is being released in November 2024? I was just looking at the release schedule and the live-action version is still sitting there as if nothing has happened.

Screen Shot 2024-02-28 at 2.22.47 AM.png

Credit to The Numbers for this screenshot.
They probably want to hold the date for something else, but I can't imagine we would get two different iterations of Moana in less than a year. Elio is a new Pixar film, so it feels especially odd to schedule Moana in such close proximity to it, as if they needed another reason to push it back.

Last edited:
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks