Real Name
Sam Favate
Title: Moana (2016)

Tagline: The ocean is calling.

Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Family, Animation

Director: Ron Clements, John Musker

Release: 2016-11-23

Runtime: 107

Plot: In Ancient Polynesia, when a terrible curse incurred by Maui reaches an impetuous Chieftain's daughter's island, she answers the Ocean's call to seek out the demigod to set things right.

No thread for Moana?

Saw it today, and it was terrific. Great songs by Lin-Manuel Miranda, great animation (wow!), and great performances. This is easily one of the most joyful films of the year.

It's doing well too:
Disney's 'Moana' Tops Black Friday Box Office, Brad Pitt's 'Allied' Continues To Underperform

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...llied-continues-to-underperform/#ba9abf4505a0

Last edited by a moderator:

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I saw it last Wednesday and absolutely loved it! Uplifting story, strong female protagonist, solid performances by the cast, incredible animation, and memorable musical numbers in the best tradition of Disney; one of their very best efforts!

Highly recommend.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I am soooooo skeptical.

I hate when the early reviews come in so positive. ;) I guess I'll have to seriously think about getting to the theater for this one. I haven't been making definite trips to see Disney animation films in a long time.

We'll see.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I thought that the couple pee jokes were below Clements & Musker, but otherwise loved the film. It feels more like one of the '90s musicals than Tangled or Frozen do, and I mean that as a compliment. Clements and Musker have made a seamless transition into directing CG, which many of their other films have used for key sequences or characters, but they've never made a full film this way before. Fortunately, they've managed to move into CG without losing their distinctive voices.

For those who have already seen it, which of the songs do you think is likeliest to win the Oscar? Disney is campaigning "How Far I'll Go," "We Know the Way" and "You're Welcome." I would think one of them has a pretty good shot as long as they don't split the vote amongst themselves -- although with La La Land a top contender in other categories, something from that could very well take Song, too. My favorite is probably "How Far I'll Go," but they're all great. If Moana does win for Original Song, it will give Lin-Manuel Miranda the complete EGOT (not to mention the Pulitzer Prize.)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We saw it today. Beautiful animation, wonderful music, great story. Absolutely wonderful. I don't thank The Rock steals the movie. Loved the chicken.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I enjoyed Moana well enough. The Rock and the girl who played the princess were fine, and the story moved along.

Nothing special, though. Not as good as Zootopia or Jungle Book.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I agree.

If I were working at Dairy Queen and someone called and requested that kind of cake for a kid's birthday, I would have asked "Are you sure?" to be absolutely sure whether I heard them correctly or not. Even if she didn't know what Moana is (and I'll assume she didn't), what she thought it was would clearly be a highly unusual request for a kid's party. I think maybe the decorator should have tried to clarify. However, the fact that she didn't do that shouldn't cause her her job. Since the manager approved her making the cake and knew what she was doing, it's completely unfair to fire her over it.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks