MMORPG with rich quests and minimal grinding?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Rob Gardiner, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Greetings,

I'm in my 3rd month of STAR WARS GALAXIES and the flaws are becoming apparent. I'd like to try another MMORPG with the following qualities:
    • Rich, complex quests, rather than the simple, repetitive "kill" or "deliver" missions. Even the "theme parks" in SWG (Rebel Base, Jabba's Palace, etc.) consist of a string of simple destroy and deliver missions.
    • Minimal grinding. SWG and many other games are dominated by high-level players, so low- to mid-level players try to get to the top quickly by repeatedly "grinding" out simple, repetitive tasks. I'd like a game that is FUN at all levels of play.
    • I would prefer a game that has been out at least a year, so that the major bugs have been worked out and a large community has had a chance to develop. (Also, my video card is a bit creaky, so I'd rather have smooth play on an older game than jerky play on a brand new one.) I'm not looking for recommendations of upcoming games like EQ2, WoW, or Matrix Online.

Many thanks.

2. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Sorry, but I think that you're out of luck on this one. It just doesn't exist. I've played most of what's out there right now and think that your only hope is to wait for one of the new ones. I'm waiting for WoW and am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be an improvement over the current crop.

3. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

No such thing exists in the current generation. Despite your request, WoW is the game you want. Its graphics are nice but not so advanced that it can't run on older hardware. Minimal grinding, you're not relegated to one area for an extended period of time, there's tons of quests that are actually worth doing, and even in its beta state it's more stable than most games.

4. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    EQ2 is supposed to have a new system where you don't just "grind" for XP.

Besides that, I suggest you stay away from Galaxies. You might want to do some research on Final Fantasy XI.

Mike

5. Rob Gardiner

Thanks for the comments, everybody.

It appears that what I thought were the deficiencies of SWG are actually the deficiencies of the entire MMORPG genre.

I guess I've been spoiled by all the single-player RPGs by Bioware I've played over the years (Baldur's Gate, NWN, KOTOR, Planescape Torment). Why doesn't BIOWARE develop an MMORPG? [​IMG]

6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  7. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I know from past posts that you were a big EQ player so you may be a bit biased [​IMG] but I'm interested in hearing why you think EQ2 will be better than WoW. I never played EQ because it was such a huge grind and camp game but I might be interested in EQ2. Don't know if we should discuss the two here or start a new thread. Most likely I'll be playing WoW but I'm also curious about EQ2.

8. Rob Gardiner

If you guys want to discuss EQ2 vs WoW in this thread, I would not consider it a hijack. My question has been answered, so I guess I will set my sights on one of the new, upcoming MMORPGs.

Does anyone know anything about MATRIX or D&D or MIDDLE EARTH or GUILD WARS or DARK & LIGHT or any of the other upcoming games in this genre? Same criteria apply: I'm looking for 1) Rich, complex quests and 2) Minimal grinding.

9. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

10. Phill O

Phill O Stunt Coordinator

Maybe I'm getting to be a crusty old man, but what the F is
    WoW?

11. Rob Gardiner

"World of Warcraft", o crusty one.

12. Shane S.

Shane S. Stunt Coordinator

I just signed off of Star Wars galaxies for the last time the other day (well Ill go back to help a friend finish his Jedi Quest I want to be there when he fights Malechai). I think that the problem with MMORPG's is that the developers just have to many damn mouths to feed and it just ends up being a big cluster of trying to make everyone happy. 1 person wants to sol the world the other beleives you need to be grouped to get anything done, One group wants PVP the other doesnt... For that reason Im just not sure that the game you are asking for is out there.

You mentioned KOTOR earlier and as far as I'm concerend a game like that out does the MMORPG genre for several reasons.

1. I'm the hero. I know this sounds lame but lets be honest we game for escapism not to ranked in as another support charachter to someone else. I can be another average Joe at work all I want.

2. You can play the 7 hours a day while I play it 1. We'll both end up at the same spot (roughly) and you being 6hours a day ahead of me has no effect on my game play what-so-ever. I dont know about other games but In SWG you take a week or so off or dont play at the same elvel as someone else and you have are at a HUGe disadvantage.

3. I only have to put up with me. In MMORPGS for every 1 decent person I interact with there are about 5 I'd like to beat with their Keyboard, and Im a pretty laid back type.

4.l337 speek gets on my nerves [​IMG]

Personaly I think I'll be sitting MMORPGS out for awhile. I see no real reason to pay 16$ a month for a chat room GTA will be out and between movies and pacing myself KOTOR2 will land in December (I hope).

13. Christopher_P

Christopher_P Stunt Coordinator

http://www.mmorpg.com

The link above may provide you with some nice info on various games. I have played many MMORPG's and thus far I haven't come across one yet that meets what you want. To be honest World of Warcraft and Everquest 2 are just more of the same upgrades to the tried and true MMORPG formula. IMO There needs be a big shake up in the genre like the original Everquest was.

Quick overlook of what I have played thus far:

Everquest: I have and still do play a lot of this. Lots of content but its grind grind grind raid raid raid. Don't think about solo unless you are X class and at Y level. Mostly if it wasn't for the guild I am in I probably would of quit a year ago :p but I'm hooked and attached to my current guild.

SWG: I thought it was empty and lifeless. Not much to do and just all around boring.

Planetside: Not really an RPG. UT2k4 meets MMOG genre.

Everquest Online Adventures for ps2: Not a lot of play time into this one honestly but when I did play I didn't see a lot of players around and it felt like more of the same.

City of Heroes: Great MMO action game. The combat is fun and they are adding little things all the time such as capes, new zones, etc.. But there is no equipment, no trade skills, etc.. Its all about the action and picking your powers / designing your super heroes.

Eve Online: Space RTS. It reminds me of a demo of Homeworld I played a while back. To build ships / equipment you need minerals. To get minerals you must mine ore. Every ore gives a different type of mineral. To build larger ships (battleships and the like) you need rare megacite and zydine minerals which only come from ores in deep space where powerful npc pirates and guilds of players lurk. Rare minerals, control of deep space systems, guild wars, are all Eve Online's 'Raid game'. Solo/questing wise you have many different types of kill/deliver/build missions to do called 'Agent Missions', you can also solo mine in 0.5+ status systems and not have to worry much about player pirates (however npc pirates still attack). In the end its still the same grind grind (mine mine for $$) and do kill X missions/quests though.

Anarchy Online: Started out more solo friendly with missions/quests and the like but with the last 2 add ons it is now Everquest scifi style.

World of Warcraft: More polished than Everquest and much more solo friendly but of my small time with the stress test most of the quests seemed to be find X npc or kill X monster still. I think it will be fun but I think its a fun cover to the same tried and true MMORPG game. Bug wise it seemed to be as bug free as Everquest which has been out retail for almost 5 years now.

14. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten

I can see where you might get that impression, but my love for the game of EQ comes mostly from my guild and not the game itself. Oh sure, EQ is a fun game and very challenging, but it is not the be all end all of MMORPGs. My guild is what has held my interest for 5 years, that EQ has supported that is great but the times are changing.

It would be far more appropriate to say I love games of all kinds, console, PC, portable, online and single player. I have beta tested and lauch played a dozen MMORPGs, and each has paled in comparison to EQ, shocking as it may sound. Both WOW and EQ2 are finally BETTER games, especially for casual but focussed guilds like mine. And we are looking for new playgrounds but intend to keep our EQ1 base.

The original poster however asked which had more compelling quests and which had more EXP as a quest reward. EQ2 fits that bill.

If you have different priorities, either will make a fine game.

WOW is MUCH more ready for launch than EQ2 is. EQ2 is prettier. EQ2 seems 'larger' from a newbies perspective. WOW offers PVP (I hate it). EQ2 has cool housing and collectibles and neat trade skills. EQ2s interface is far more customizable. WOW is solid and well thought out and has tremendous history back to WC1-3.

However, both games will be average to sucky if you dont get in well with a good group of people who share your play time, where you stand on casual to uberness, interests, maturity, etc. I played that game once, I started EQ1 with nothing and knowing no one. I now know hundreds of players in game and in real life that I call friends. People I have shared beers with and even attended real life weddings.

It's all about your perspective and what you are looking for.

Sam

15. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Thanks for the info Sam. With any MMORPG it's definitely all about the people you play with. That's what makes the experience. I'll be playing WoW at release but if that just doesn't cut it for some reason, I'll definitely give EQ2 a try.

16. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I just got SWG installed last weekend but it took me over three straight days of downloading patches before I could begin play. I love the idea it's based upon, but I've already decided it was a grand waste of $30 for the simple reason that I have a 56k dial-up which only connects at 31.2k at best, making the game completely unplayable. Looks like most of today's MMORPGs are so graphic-intensive that I'm left out in the wind. And with no one offering broadband in my area, it looks like I'll be sticking to single player games until I buy a new house in an area where broadband is available (which looks to be at least 7-10 years off).

17. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

Um.......I love SWG.

18. Rob Gardiner

Just to be clear, I still love it too. [​IMG] After only 3 months, I "feel a surge of the Force within me" so the path to Jedi cannot be that far off. But I have to admit some parts of the game are a drag, and I find myself longing for the well-written quests of the Bioware games.