MMG offer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brandon B, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

Anyone with an itch for some Magneplanar speakers, Magnepan has an intro offer for their MMG pair, $550 direct from the mfr with a 30 day return policy and possible 1 year upgrade credit. Cool deal.
    BB

2. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

Yeah, I just was looking at reviews and such and realized this is a longstanding offer. I saw reference to it on a discussion board and thought it was a new or short term thing.
    BB

3. Samson

Samson Stunt Coordinator

Can the MMG be powered by a receiver ? Magnepan recommends that the MMG be powered at 40- 150 @ 4 ohms. Would a receiver with 80w x 5 @ 8 ohms be able to handle these speakers ?

4. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Are these speakers more suited for HT or music? Is $550 a good deal on somethng like this? Ihaven't really heard these, but I wanted to give them a fair shake if the general consensus of these is that they are pretty good.
    Other's I'm considering for my new setup is Paradigm Studio 40's or the norh 4.0's or the Swan Diva's.
    Aaron

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

here I go getting on my little soap box again [​IMG]
    The maggies truely excel at reproducing abience as such they do a stunning job on music but do equally well recreating a very real and deep soundfield for movies. I've heard quite a few centre channel speakers and IMO a MMG is able to provide some of the cleanest dialog I've heard to date. As rear speakers they are exceptional with a freaky ability to really reproduce an enveloping soundfield thats directional when called upon but difuse enough not to be distracting.
    As far as power goes like most quality speakers they will do fine on lower powered gear but the more quality power you give them the more you're rewarded. That said most receivers can push these with relative ease. Maggie speakers act very much like a single 4 ohm resistor in that thier ohm rating does not change with the frequency unlike most conventional speakers.
    Take a chance and think out side the "box"...besides with the money back deal and the upgrade policy what do you have to loose?
    ------------------
    http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

6. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

I have never seen a full system of these set up. I would like to see how you handle the size of the speaker when used as a center channel.
    ------------------
    The Mischievous Rogue Strikes Again! The Humble Hanson Theater

7. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

My current plan is to do some Maggie auditioning tomorrow (at the only NJ Maggie dealer, which is in Jack Gilvey's town). Don't know if the MMG is in my plans, but my motivations do include an HT setup. I would like to try something else beyond their "defined" center channel speaker, though. At this point, even if I enjoy the sound, I'm not sure if I would go down the Maggie road (size issues in the front of the room?).
    Doug
    ------------------
    "Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

8. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

2 years ago I took the Maggie deal, although then it was 500. I was into trying to upgrade my system and was buying or forrowing a lot of stuff and running blind tests. I had a 2095 Yam receiver and some Marantz MA 500 monoblocks for power. I also had JBL L100, JBL S38, Monitor Audio 5i, Energy RVS and the Maggie MMG for audition and we went at it for 2 weeks. All sorts of configs were used and we tried to be fair as we could and qualify opinions to each of the the other listeners.
    I really wanted the MMG and if they had panned out for me, I would have bought the other maggies to complete the HT setup I wanted. We found that they really needed some serious power to sound as well as they could. I borrowed a big Yam amp to try'em out with more power and that opened the image up much, much more. So NO, that 80 wpc will not push the Maggie MMG as they should be pushed.
    All our testing turned out not even close to what any of us expected. Here's how it went:
    I kept the L100 JBL....strongest of the group
    My bro got the JBL S38..... amazing clarity
    My son got the Energy RVS...
    Sold the Monitor Audio 5i......
    Returned the MMG.
    If I had some serious money for amps, the MMG would probably been my choice. Nice style and takes a little getting used to in their imaging, but are well worth the money if you have the power.
    ------------------

9. shujaatkhan

shujaatkhan Auditioning

I second Andrew about giving them a chance. I took his advice in an earlier post [​IMG] (search for magnepan)
    I just got them last week and was a little unsure of how my Sony DB-930 would handle them, but so far they are doing great! I use them mostly for music and I like these better than the $1400 (list) Monitor Audio 8i's, which I was considering.
    I will eventually upgrade to a better amp, but for now the receiver is doing fine.

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

if you want some idea of that it might look like check out my HT page by following the link below. While I do agree that they will shine with more power 1) almost any speaker will do that 2) they will still out image most speakers and likely most in their price range 3) adding power can be a cheap upgrade later. For a while I used a HK 5800 which is a budget 5 channel amp that you should be able to find for around $300 USD. This amp isn't the largest (~110 watts into 4 ohms) but it did a fine job powering my maggies before I bought a really nice amp for the mains
    ------------------
    http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

11. Kendal Kirk

Kendal Kirk Stunt Coordinator

This speaker is a winner!!! I picked up a pair about 2 years ago for a small but respectable 2 channel system. I have had no problem pushing them with my Bryston 2B-LP(60w/ch). They are not the most efficient speaker, about 85db, so the more clean power the better, and I stress clean!! Bring them out about 3 feet off the wall and they will sing [​IMG]. 3 pair for $1650 plus a solid sub would make an increadable 6.1 system [​IMG].
    I was initially concerned about the WAF, but she has fallen in love with them also. When not in use, they can be pulled tight to the wall.
    I give them [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Scott Pultz

Scott Pultz Auditioning

Since they advertise 40-150 wpc, I wouldn't worry about power as long as you are within that range. Remember that doubling your power only gives you an extra 3db of SPL. So if you go from an 80wpc amp to an 160wpc amp, you can basically turn your system up an extra 3db.
    If your amp is 80wpc into 8 ohm, do they have a rating for 4ohm? If it is not even rated at 4 ohm, that means that the distortion is probably high.