What's new

MLB Steroid scandal discussion thread (merged) (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member

*sigh* no, in fact, just the reverse. The fact is, whether they "dig the long ball" or not, the use of steroids means implication of players in illegal activity, which is bad for the game. If they receive tax funds (which they do) then the government has a prevailing interest in them following the law.

More then that, you have to admit for a fair segment of the population, even if you deny the majority, it taints the records themselves, which is not good, either.

Phil L

Supporting Actor

Maybe, if the player is so stupid as to have to break the law to get steroids. There are many "doctors" who make their living legally prescribing GH, Test, IGF-1, whatever.

Phil L

Supporting Actor

IF you've got a prescription, it's legal. Whether you really *need* it or not.

The "Doctor" might be censured but the "patient" isn't in trouble.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
Did anybody watch the 20/20 segment last Friday night about this where they interviewed the owner of BALCO? It certainly was eye opening for me. I was previously under the assumption that these issues could be solved simply by doing more testing, but I learned that no tests exist for HGH or Clear (the designer steroid of choice). In fact, most people that take these everyday seem to have no problem passing any random drug test that they need to take.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

Not exactly so. Somatomedin-C (IGF-1) levels are routinely measured in patients on legitimate HGH replacement therapy. If we can test for this in patients on replacement, then we can teach MLB to test for it.

In one sense, I pity these athletes. They either have no idea of how harmful the use of HGH (or steroids, or insulin in an improperly supervised setting) can be, or they do but don't care, or they don't and they wouldn't care anyway.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I believe ‘wouldn’t’ care is close, Angelo.

Actually, there was a reasonably controlled survey several years ago dealing with Olympic class athletes that found a substantial majority, even if they knew that their lives would be shortened by taking performance enhancing drugs, would opt to do so in any case, if they could only win (or qualify for the games).

Sorry, but I can no longer remember where I read that study (or even how long ago).

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
It's going to be interesting to see how fans respond to less offense, as these guys stop taking the drugs. Will 50 homers become special again? (In the 1950s, only Mantle and Mays hit 50. In the 60s, just Mantle, Mays, and Maris. In the 70s, George Foster was the only one. In the 80s, nobody hit 50.)

Of course, there have been a few other factors such as smaller park dimensions and the shrinking strike zone. I think what may happen is the avid fan, who cares about baseball's statistical history, will be happy but the fan who wants only to see the long balls may lose interest.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
True. Cecil Fielder, though, ahd it where people would pitch to him because they believed if he hit anything but a homer, his base running ability was.. uh.. well, they could take care of him after that.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
George Bell of the Toronto Blue Jays in (I believe) 1987 hit 47. Close to 50...

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

That's the second time I've seen that quote used in conjunction with the steroid scandal. Peter King of SI on the Steroid Scandal (#8)

How many of you think that if Ruth, Cobb, Gehrig, Mantle, DiMaggio, etc. were alive today, that many, if not all, would do stuff like this? I'm pretty sure that they would do pretty much anything to their bodies to gain an advantage. Although I'm sure Ty Cobb wouldn't be allowed to wear those sharpened spikes. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Zachary, I wish you hadn't mentioned Peter King using the same quote I did. It scares me to think that I had a similar thought to that idiot on any matter. He was on the local sports radio station this morning making a completely illogical argument in favor of the current BCS college football system. His views on the NFL are equally moronic.

I change my mind. Steroids are great. MLB owners and the commish are doing a great job. The players are all honest, upstanding citizens. :)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The problem with this, is that they were illegal unless they were taken with a prescription. And as has already been pointed out in this thread, if they were so leagal, why would not the players who took them just say they what they were doing rather than deny any use? This is what Mark McGuire did for the substance he was taking.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I'm getting ready for Brady Anderson to come out and confess ala Jose Canseco. He hit 50 homers one season, but had never even had half the amount in a season before. Nor did he ever hit half that amount after that great season.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Hell, if you think people were mad about Artest, you have to wonder what would happen with Ty Cobb going into the stands to beat up a handicapped man. MLB told him he couldn't play the next game and his team announced they would forfeit unless Ty took the field, as the heckler in the stands "got what was coming to him".. in the end, the league relented, and he took the field with no suspension ;)

OK, that bit of baseball history out of the way, would they do the drugs? Hmm. Hard to say; several took a few drinks during prohibition :)

That having been said, the drugs and use of them may not be defined in the contract, but under federal law, intentional purchase of unapproved FDA drug, and use thereof is a crime. More then that, promoting illegal use of pharmacuticals is a felony.

So, whether or not it's spelled out in their contract, breaking the law can be an "out".. ask Denny Nagle today about how that works with picking up hookers :)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
He's full of it. At best he got 5:1 estrogens:androgen increases from that which is really counter to what he sought. He probably took a comination of GH and androgenics in addition to that.

Users who are viewing this thread