What's new

MLB Network (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
DirecTV among others are broadcasting the new MLB Network channel starting 6pm today. It will be HD in DirecTV though apparently some CableCo will only have the SD version.

The very special broadcast today is a kinescope presentation of 1956 World Series Game 5 --- Don Larsen's perfect game (at least innings 2-9). Bob Costas has Yogi Berra and Don Larsen on for some in studio between innings commentary. Yes it is Black and White, yes it is 4:3, and I am NOT by any measure of the word a Yankee fan. If you miss the initial broadcast it will be rebroadcast several times. Hopefully this will sit on my DVR for a long while.

For those who aren't fans, this broadcast was "Lost" for decades and no film existed of the full game with Mel Allen and Vin Scully broadcasting (along with a lot of 1956 commercials though most of them seem to be Gilette). Until this was discovered only a few excerpts of the game were thought to exist so this is quite interesting most Bseball fans and even TV Historians. It just cool to watch Jackie Robinson near the end of his career, Mickey Mantle near the beginning of his career and hitting a HR, Gil Hodges, Pee Wee Reese, Duke Snyder making a circus catch, seeing Billy Martin while he was a player, see Casey Stengel, hear Ed Runge's name as a very young umpire.

Listening to classic Mel Allen and a very young Scully doing a baseball broadcast without the circus atmosphere that accompanies most Modern Telecasts is just soothing to my old bones. The game and players are the entertainment and not the nonstop personal broadcaster chatter, promos of whatever Network trash show they are trying to sell this week, interviews in the booth with Alyssa Milano or Bono doing self-promotion, and the broadcast analyst's psychoanalysis of every player and every motive of every nit going on. "Gee Tim, do you think Bonds chewing of Sunflower seeds is really his way of thumbing his nose at the Congressman or do you think it;s his way of subconsciously spitting on the history of Baseball and the Nationalal Pastime"

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I won't be watching
comcast charges extra for the channel as part of a sports tier $5.
no thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks