What's new

MLB Hot Stove League 2006-2007 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
THIS news really reminds me of when Communist leaders, like Castro, have to resort to silly means to convince their people they are still alive.

Maybe next we'll see video of Steinbrenner holding a copy of today's NY Daily News with Sheffield on the back cover ripping him a new one...again! :D I love the quote about Abreu: "He's a good player, but you can draw it up any kind of way, he ain't me." :laugh: Daily News article HERE.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
According to the local news, the Tigers are in serious talks with the Yankees for Sheffield, who won a world series championship under Jim Leyland in Florida. That could be the power bat the Tigers were looking for, and he can play first or DH, a good fit. I think Leyland can keep his attitude in check. According to the report the Tigers would give up utility infielder Omar Infante and minor league pitcher Jordan Tata.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
There is rumor going on that the Red Sox have wone the bidding sweepstakes for Matsuzaka. This is being reported on espn.com. The bid could be for OVER 40 MILLION$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Marvin,
The Yankees made a great trade. Also, the Tigers did well too because they dealt from their strength which is young pitching and got a very good power bat in their lineup. I heard Sheffield has already signed a two year extension.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can't say as a Yankee fan that I'm happy about this, but that's a lot of money. I didn't have any idea that the bidding would get that high. The total financial commitment could be as high as 90M. Anyhow, this is still Olney reporting it without any confirmation from other sources.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin

This just gives them exclusive rights to try to sign him, as I understand it. If they can't sign him within 30 days, he goes back to Japan and is a FA next year. So even if the Red Sox had no intention of signing him, this would keep any other team, such as, for example, the Yankees, from signing him.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I agree that it is a ton of money.....a bit too much but what do I care...it's not my cash LOL! The money doesn't count towards the cap either. I think John Henry obviously looks at this as a huge investment and one that I am sure will pay off quite nicely in the long run financially as now the Sox will have money coming in from Japan. As a Sox fan, a rotation of Schilling, Beckett, Papelbon, Matsuzaka and Wakfield sounds pretty darn good to me. With Lester getting better (god willing) that makes a nice rotation in 08 of Beckett, Matsuzaka, Papelbon, Lester and one of their young studs like Bucsholtz or Bard in the 5 spot.

As for the Sheffield deal....the Yanks did make a good trade. They got a lot of great young pitchers in return wich they desperatley needed in their system. Hopefully the Yanks don't do the typical "yankee mistake" and trade all of them for a 37 year old former superstar......it has never worked for them and never will.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If this is true, as a Yankee fan that has grown tired of hearing about the Yankee high payroll, I'm not exactly unhappy that the Yankees didn't win this high bid. I'm not happy about the Red Sox getting him, but if it was the Yankees then we would never hear the end of how the Yankees are buying another championship. Cashman appears to have convinced Steinbrenner to rebuild with young power pitching, mixing in some young position players with your superstar lineup and perhaps add a role player or two to the mix. I'm sure he wants Mats too, but if he didn't get him then it wasn't meant to be.

As a Yankee fan, I know too well that having a great team on paper is nice and dandy, but actually having it come together and winning it all is another thing all together.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
THe Yanks did well...getting younger.

And, Sheffield did well...going to a playoff contender. ;)

How would it have been to report in 1941, "the Japanese may have invaded Pearl Harbor"?

He could have just easily have reported that the Red Sox may not have posted the top bid.....

BTW, the Astros have signed Biggio to a one year deal. He'll be going for his 3000th hit and 300th HR this year. 20 years with one team. Nice. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I don't think that is knowledge limited only to Yankee fans! The '06 Red Sox looked pretty darn good on paper to me. :D I think lots of fans of different baseball teams have dealt with that reality.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I never said it was exclusive to Yankee fans only, but over the last 5-6 years, the Yankees have been heavy favorites in some of those years, but have come up short in getting their next championship. With that failure, comes the 200M dollar payroll headlines that really burns Yankee fans like me, who don't like having such a high payroll.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Robert: I don't know why we disconnect on some of these things. I never meant to infer you were saying it was a feeling exclusive to Yankee fans. In fact, I was commiserating that us Red Sox fans and a lot of other fans have felt the same thing--that a good team on paper can suck on the field. I understand all too well about the weight of responsibility that the Yanks' payroll issue brings. It is what it is.

BTW, Cashman yesterday reiterated that A-Rod would definitely be with the Yankees in '07.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
$40M just to talk to the guy is ridiculous. Matsusake has the Red Sox by the balls now. Pay me or you lose 40 million. And the deal is going to be a reportedly 3 year type deal so he can go to free agency. This deal STINKS of Scott Boras.

Sheffield got a 2 year deal worth 28 million. The Tigers got what they wanted and Sheff got what he wanted and the Yankees got some young pitching. Doesn't seem like a bad deal at all.

Ramirez says he wants 100million or so and the Angels really want him. Ramirez will be like Beltre was. Just watch it happen. Beltre was a huge bust for the Mariners.

Edmunds returns to the Cardinals for 2 years(likely his last). 9.5M a year for 2 years seems affordable for his play.

And Soriano wants Beltran money(117M over 7 years or so). We shall see who wants to pay it because I'll bet atleast 3 teams would easily do that.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
The way I understand it, they lose the $40M only if they can sign him. Is that not the case?

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member

Couldn't agree more...if the Cubs re-sign Ramirez for anything close to $100 million, they are out of their minds.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Marvin is correct. If the team that makes the winning bid cannot close the deal with Matsuzaka within 30 days, the bid money is refunded, Matsuzaka stays with the Lions in Japan and no other MLB club can negotiate with him. He would then, next year, be considered a free agent.

So, in effect, it could be a freeze-out move by any club to simply keep the Yankees from signing him. Taken in that context, this "posting process" could end up being a big loss for the Japanese ballclub and Matsuzaka.

Interestingly, the Rangers have disclosed they made a bid...joing the Yanks and Sox and potentially some NL teams. The Lions only get the $$$ figure of the high bid...but not the name of the team which made the bid. Once they accept the bid (if they do), the name of the club becomes public and the 30 day negotiating window begins.

If anyone cares what Bobby Valentine (who has spent a lot of time with Japanese baseball the last few years) thinks...he told mlb.com:

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I am very excited to have Sheffield in the Tigers lineup for the next three years. He will be a great add for a team that really needed the big DH bat this post season. The Tigers did give up Sanchez, but he has a history of problems with his arm and Detroit still has recent #1 pick Andrew Miller and prospect Fernando Tata, the future looks bright for us Tiger fans.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

The only concern, Brandon, would be his shoulder...although he played through the pain and played well for the Yanks the last couple of years. But his shoulder (left one--not his throwing arm) has been so bad I'm not sure Sheff can actually lift his glove over his head anymore. His bat and that gun of a right arm are still quite impressive--especially at 38 years old.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Mike and Marvin,
Thanks for the correction on the money aspect. How Mike puts it(freeze out the other team) makes sense. Do you think the Red Sox will be serious when they negotiate? Or will they make a bid thinking Matsusake turns it down and noone else got the shot for the pitcher.

I saw today that another Japanese player Iwanura had his bids finalized. I wonder who won the right to negotiate. His stats are pretty solid plus he appears to be a solid fielder which a guy like Ramirez isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread