What's new

Mlb all star game in HD? (1 Viewer)

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
Fox says it will be[they also said the regular season games on fox were going to be in HD...but they aren't]but i don't really believe em.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Parts yes, parts no. You'll probably still get the SD graphic inserter which results in coloring over the body parts of pitchers and batters during each and every pitch. There will probably be a SD cam used for CF and/or behind Home. There will definitely be some worthless SD cam in the dirt, on sombody, or in a base.

It definitely won't look as good as last year when Fox Sports Net did the game for some cable networks with 1080i utilizing all HD cams.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
When Fox shows Red Sox games "in HD" (as they will again this weekend), don't they get the same HD feed that NESN broadcasts? If so, why does it look like they put it through an ugly filter?

Our little Red Sox cable network broadcasts glorious looking HD, and I hate it when their broadcast is pre-empted by Fox. I don't know what Fox is doing, exactly, but it's a far cry from why I consider "HD". At least from my provider (RCN digital cable).

The All-Star game looked better than that, but it still seemed of poorer quality than the usual NESN or ESPN coverage (or CBS's sports coverage).

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Bad assumption. They aren't doing anything but the playoffs and ASG in HD. Everything else is the same 480p "Fox Widescreen" crap they originally tried to claim was as good as HD. That said, the camera they used all night long from Left Centerfield to show the player plus name and for replays was SD and the picture was misaligned to the right by 30 pixels or so. The dirt cam was web cam quality and stretched. Overall it looks soft even when they use HD cams.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Their broadcast of the All Star Game was better than the stuff they've been putting on Saturday's broadcasts. The All Star Game is using the Super Bowl cameras from the look of it, compared to the junk on Saturday.

ESPNHD looks great, but the Red Sox never look as good as the NESN broadcasts on INHD from Comcast. Every game they show, Sox, Orioles, Yankees, whatever, looks terrific. I wish that channel was less repetitious. (I love the Cathedrals of the Game shows too, they should run a marathon of them... thus adding to the repetition. Oh well. ;))

Doug

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

NESN does not broadcast the games that are on the FOX national feed, only the ones that are on the local UPN channel (38) on Friday night. I doubt they let FOX use the great NESN cameras and crew either.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Well, damn. Why doesn't Fox just get out of the fucking business or take a few lessons from itty-bitty NESN on how to do this right? I mean, fuck it all, we got Yankees-Sox this weekend, and I'll be stuck watching Fox's smeary, blurry mess of a broadcast. And if they break out that idiotic "scooter the baseball" to explain what a change-up is for the millionth time, I'm shooting my TV.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

NESN's camera and booth are permanent, FOX's have to travel. I've heard it said that HD vans and cameras are at a premium (not enough to go around), so some broadcasts get the short end. They probably send the 'A' team to NASCAR very week.:D

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
But NESN also broadcasts most of the Red Sox road games in HD (in fact, I can't remember the last non-HD road game), and the quality of those broadcasts appear just as good as the home game broadcasts.

And Fox isn't so rinky-dink anymore, and certainly not nearly the small enterprise that NESN is. Maybe they do care more for NASCAR than baseball (or, more accurately, maybe Fox's audience does), and I hesitate to speak about a sport that I truly don't appreciate (they just go around in circles as fast as they can and occasionally crash, right?). I don't know if it's a NASCAR vs. baseball thing, but I do know that Fox is the worst baseball broadcaster and if they don't care to do better, then please let another network take it over. Or, at the very least, don't take away the Red Sox coverage from NESN. Maybe stick to covering red state teams only? ;)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Fox doesn't do anything but Football, ASG, and MLB playoffs themseleves. Nascar is in HD thanks to Nascar, not Fox. They run their own show.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
NESN only has to lug around one crew. If by FOX, you mean FOX Sports Net, they have to worry about lugging around 15 crews at the most.

MikeM

Screenwriter

If you're not a fan of NASCAR, don't worry, the NASCAR coverage for the second half of the racing season moves to NBC. So for you baseball fans, that means the "A-List" Fox cams for NASCAR (if they really are the A-List cams) will be freed up for baseball.

P.S. I live in a blue state, and I like baseball AND NASCAR. ;)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Like I said, Nascar runs their show. It had nothing to do with Fox equipment or staff as Fox is not involved. The same goes for Nascar on NBC, it's not NBC. Their is however plenty of equipment for Fox to rent to do baseball, just like football. They refuse to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks