What's new

MLB All Star 2005 (Roster and Discussion) (1 Viewer)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I was going to post this in the main MLB post, but I wanted to have another discussion going to. MLB All Star Game is literally a month away. FoxSports.com had a great article on Jason Varitek:
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3680356

With the All Star game coming up, we're going to see an assembly of the most popular players in the game, but not necessarily the best at their position from another standpoint: Leadership.

Let's get a roster going -- Create the ultimate All Star team -- combined league, 1 team. BUT, the catch is position is based on the best LEADER by position. You would have to wonder what would happen with a team comprised of nothing but the best leaders of the league. The biggest disaster ever, or the best team ever?

I'll start and go for the 2 "locks":
Catcher -- Tek
Shortstop -- Jeter

Might as well give us something to talk about until the official roster is announced.

Doug

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
You can subtract the lock, Joe Torre is not a factor this year. Tejada wins the vote as he should, Renteria makes the team.

1B - Giambi (to piss off Georgie as the lone Yankee rep)
2B - Belhorn
SS - Renteria, Cabrera
3B - Mueller
RF - Nixon
CF - Damon
LF - Manny
DH - Ortiz
C - Tek

Starters - Wake, Clement, Miller
Relievers - Foulke, Timlin

Fill in with 1 per team or so.

That's still less Sox than Torre had Yanks every year. :D

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
The only "lock" I can think of right now for the National League has to be Derrek Lee of the Cubs at first base. The guy is really lighting it up.

As for the American, Miguel Tejada is a lock for SS and I would hope he'd be joined by his teammate, Brian Roberts at 2B.

Bruce

ShelbyB

Stunt Coordinator
There are no locks in the MLB all star game, at least not for starters. Voters are stupid. I know, I am one of them.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

:laugh:

Nomar (who was batting under the Mendoza line in about 15 games before that awful groin injury) is currently the NL leading vote-getter at SS.

Some dude from Boston e-mailed ESPN radio the other day when they were having a discussion on some of the questionable "leading vote-getters". He said, "uh oh. They're on to us. Voters in AL parks are voting in the worst NL team they can...thanks to MLB deciding to mean the outcome of the All-Star game decides home field advantage in the World Series." I laughed my a** off! :D

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't find a normal MLB thread so I thought I'd drop this in here. Seems like back when the ARod/Soriano trade went down I was pretty alone around here saying this was another mistake by Big George.

Now a season and a half later I'm not the only one...from the ESPN power rankings this week
I guess the only thing this has to do with All-Stars is that both guys will be on the team. :)

Oh, and if Derek Lee DOESN'T start, I'm done with the AS game. I guess I shouldn't be surprised if they vote on Todd Helton over Lee based on past votes.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The whole Kevin Brown ordeal I bet he wish he had back too. Yancy Brazobhan has been outstanding and I bet that Geroge wishes he had him back.

As far as the All Star Game, I voted today. Abreu was on my roster as well as I had Derek Lee of Chicago over Pujols. It was good to see 2 of my own teams players in the lead to start(Kent for 2b and Izturis for SS). I was really not an Izturis fan but the guy has turned himself into a great player at SS. He was always a killer SS but could never hit until now. The last 2 years have been liking watching a different player.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, you can't chase talent because next year is always a few great players down year, and a great comeback year or breakthrough year for guys who weren't so hot.

Just look at the Randy Johnson/Vasquez numbers right now. Then look at their ages. JV finished terribly but that was way too soon to give up on him for a guy whom everyone is waiting to hit the wall.

And I wasn't thinking when I said that about Lee. His year is better than Pujols, but not by so much that Albert would be a bad choice.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't be hurt to see Pujols the starter. I just feel that Lee has earned it more to start this year. Pujols's lead has dropped rather significantly as of recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks