What's new

MLB 2011 Regular Season (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Mike, you didn't come all the way down here without also goig to Citzen Bank Park I hope.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sorry, dude. Two games at Camden Yards and we were on our way back home. His gift for his 21st birthday.

My son and I had great seats for Wednesday's day game when the Red Sox beat the O's 4-0 with the help of two Ellsbury HRs.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Thats a great park to see a game. did you get to do the Inner Harbor? Seriously though I highly recommend a trip to Citizen Bank Park. You will love it. It has a very small feel, very intimate. The area behind the outfiled wall was modeled after Camden Yard's section behind the outfield area. Is Boog"s BBQ still out there. Back in the beginning of the field He was often there. Much Like Greg Luzinski is always at Bull's BBQ. The one thing that always bugged me about Camden Yards is that right field wall. Almost impossible to see anything on the field from up there.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Wow, another good outing by John Lackey. Good for him. The other day, Jim Rome had Kevin Youkilis as a guest on his radio program. The Youker talked about several players, one of whom was Lackey. I had no idea that Lackey was going through some very rough times off the field, particularly with regard to his wife. I wish her the best in a full recovery. Regardless of how he performs for Boston in the future, I won't be criticizing him again on this Board. :)

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon I thought he was a NYY fan. I assume he was rooting for the Os. Where those your pictures? They looked very professional!. I just bought my first digital camera by Nikon. I haven't had time to "learn" it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
3382ba5b.jpg
At the park today.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Holy hell! The Atlanta/Pittsburgh game is in the bottom of the 19th inning with the score tied 3-3. update: Braves win in the bottom of the 19th with a controversial call at the plate. It was the longest game in Braves' history.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
What a call. I don't want replay, but I do want umpires to convene after calls that are questionable. Of course, in this case it probably would not have mattered as it was the home plate umpire making the call. What a shame for the Pirates. http://espn.go.com/blog/SweetSpot/post/_/id/14246/we-have-a-new-worst-call-ever

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I had to turn on SportsCenter this morning to see this call.

It looked pretty bad...for sure. I was pleased to see a replay of CHuck Knoblauch's "phantom tag" on Jose Offerman from the '99 ALCS included in a video compilation of "worst calls."

He was out. But the umps explanation and the replay angle (from the infield) sure made it look a lot closer than it seemed from above.

I still don't want any replay in baseball.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I was l was listening live on the MLB app. My iPad. The Pirates pbp guy was beside himself and said it was a tragedy. I also had the MLB network on at the same time and they went to the play immediately after it happened. After the Denkinger call I say this is the second worst call I've ever seen. Just ridiculous, I don't think that guy, Meels can justify it in any way.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TonyD

Just ridiculous, I don't think that guy, Meels can justify it in any way.

Tony:

I'm not arguing that the guy was out. I think he was...clearly.

I'm just saying that the ump thought the catcher "oled" the tag and never touched the runner. And the reverse angle (infield view) shows that was nearly the case. The tag really came pretty close to missing the runner.

While the throw was good and beat the runner by a mile...I think the umpire blew the call on whether the catcher actually tagged the runner with the ball--even though the catcher was in great position. And the fact that the call ended a 19 inning game only serves to exacerbate the situation.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
"I saw the tag, but he looked like he oléd him, and I called him safe for that. I looked at the replays and it appeared he might have got him on the shin area. I'm guessing he might have got him, but when I was out there when it happened, I didn't see a tag. I just saw the glove sweep up. I didn't see the glove hit his leg." -- Home-plate umpire Jerry Meals The ump was apparently making questionable ball/strike calls during the game too. S there was some tension already in the game. With the hubbub on catchers being injured at he plate this year there seems to be a reason to allow the catcher to olè the runner since they (runner) aren't getting any leeway on running into the catcher anymore. The olè is exactly what is taught to plays at second base so the fielder doesnt get injured, this includes the phantom base touch on double plays and olè on the runner on steals. Either way the swipe was clearly close enough to allow the ump to go toward the out call and not for the safe call. I'm no fan of the Pirates but they didnt deserve to lose that way.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
btw Ervin Santana just pitched a no-hitter and looks like the Giants get Beltran.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TonyD

Either way the swipe was clearly close enough to allow the ump to go toward the out call and not for the safe call.

I'm no fan of the Pirates but they didnt deserve to lose that way.

I agree 100% with both of those statements.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I don't know very much about baseball, but when you guys say you "don't want replay," you're saying that you wouldn't want a replay system like the one in football, whereby officials can review challenged plays on video? I'm curious as to why this would be seen as a bad thing. A couple of infamously bad calls have already been mentioned. Why wouldn't one want a system to reduce or eliminate such calls?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
cafink said:
I don't know very much about baseball, but when you guys say you "don't want replay," you're saying that you wouldn't want a replay system like the one in football, whereby officials can review challenged plays on video? I'm curious as to why this would be seen as a bad thing. A couple of infamously bad calls have already been mentioned. Why wouldn't one want a system to reduce or eliminate such calls?
The game is slow enough already. Plus, anyone who is a fan knows these things happen. It's part of the game. RIght now they have technology that calls balls and strikes perfectly, but no one I know wants to replace the umpire with PitchTrax.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm not against replay. I would limit it to one per game for each manager plus current home run thing.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wish there was NO replay in baseball. They are currently using it only to prove whether or not a hit may or may not be a homerun. I hope someday that gets eliminated but I fear the pendulum is swinging in the other direction.

I like the human element in the game and, like Jeff says, don't want to see that taken over by machines. I have advocated for two extra officials per game (like they currently have in playoffs). That does not guarantee missed calls...but provides more coverage which might help the officials be able to get more calls right.

Also, baseball is a 162 game season so an occasional botched call won't likely have the same devastating impact that one might in football. But, in the right situation it might. But that's baseball. Mistakes and blown calls become part of the lore of the game.

And, to agree with Jeff again, the games are taking long enough now (with extended TV commercial breaks, more interruptions, slower game play) and don't need to be slogged down even further with breaks to check replays.

And I've heard suggestions like Tony's before (limit the number allowed per game)...but what if the instances have been used and an egregious call like the Braves/Pirates call happens in the 19th inning and there are no options available? What's the point?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks