What's new

ML Baseball 2005 Playoff thread (1 Viewer)

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
I haven't followed baseball regularly since the strike but I was always a diehard Yankees fan. I lament the fact the Donnie Mattingly never got to win a WS.

Anyhoo,I usually start watching during the playoffs if the Yanks are in it. My question is (and I meant to find out last year) is what is up with the Boston and now the Angels doo doo splashed batting helmets?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
And Trot Nixon is unacquainted with most cleaning products. I would hate to be the guy with the locker next to his. I'd also carry a weapon in case his cap tried to attack me.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, Eck referred to him last year as "a dirty ballplayer with a dirty cap, just the sort of guy you want on your team." His cap was filthy by seasons end in past years, but it is worse now with the addition of the rosin he has been putting on it since mid-season 2004. In the WS last year, they handed out new caps with WS patches, but Trot just had them sew the patch on his old one because he keeps one cap all season for luck. By October it probably crawls out of the locker and jumps on his head by itself.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I can't shake the notion that (1) they were desperate enough to pick up the Sox's cast-offs and (2) Small and Chacon will revert to normal soon enough.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Well the Braves begin the post season with a butt kicking 10-5 by the Astros.

Dangerous Dangerous team those Astros are.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
And the Red Sox drop game 2.

Headed back to Boston down 0-2 isn't good. You can't blame Bob Watson for them blowing a 4-0 lead. :laugh:

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Tony Graffanino and a David Wells hanging breaking ball dropped game two. Its not a happy moment for Sox fans. There are still three games to go!

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
When haven't the Sox been down 0-2? Aside from last years ALDS they've lost the first two games of almost every series including the only first 2 home games scenario in 88 versus Jose Canseco and his Pink bat. Lone exception is sweep of Angels last year.

0-2, 0-3, 0-4 Oak in 88
0-2, 0-3, 0-4 Oak in 90
0-2, 0-3 Cleveland in 95
0-2 Cleveland in 99
0-2 Yankees in 99 ALCS
0-2 A's in 03
0-2 and 0-3 Yankees in 04 ALCS - Won over the biggest chokers in MLB history
0-2 White Sox in 05

In other news...

The Yankees lose, theeeeeeeeee Yankees lose.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Say what you want about the Red Sox persevering. They've never had to come back against a pitching staff this tough.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

The '03 A's weren't a tough staff? Hudson, Zito, Mulder and Lilly, with Foulke as closer? Come on, give me a break! I'd take those '03 A's against against any staff in the last 5 years (except maybe Pedro, Schilling, Wakefield, Lowe and Foulke in '04).

BTW. Joseph S, you forgot down 0-2 to the Angels in '86, right up until Hendu's homerun.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
My wife scored free tix from work for tonight's game! Good field level seats too. I don't think I've seen Clemens live before so this should be a treat as long as it doesn't start raining again and Smoltz's shoulder is ok.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I left that off because they were 2-0 in WS, still have the ticket stubs for those Angel games. Since then pretty much all 0-2.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor

The Sox may have squeaked that out because Mulder didn't pitch. He had that hip problem that sidelined him for the better part of September and he never came back. Throw in two brainfarts, one from Byrnes and another from Tejeda and the rest is history.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I got nervous after Smoltz gave up a run in the 1st inning, and looked real hittable, and Clemens just mowed down his first inning batters, but fortunes reversed themselves, and Smoltz wound up putting together a nice string of innings, and a rookie catcher, McCann, takes Clemens deep for all the runs the Braves would need tonight. If Sosa can manage to put together a good start on Saturday, I think the Braves can get the series back to Atlanta on Monday (not all that confident of the next Hudson start), but I'm getting ahead of myself...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks