What's new

Miyazaki's SPIRITED AWAY, KIKI, and LAPUTA in April! (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Yes, we have an anime thread. But this is big news.
According to Steve Bissette, his Disney rep confirmed that the three aforementioned Miyazaki titles will ship on DVD this April.
$29.99 MSRP, $19.99 Minimum Advertised Price. Each title will be a 2-disc set.
Yowee!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

YAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! !
(dances around the room naked)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Great news!
I will be picking up all of these assuming they are properly subtitled. PRINCESS MONONOKE is one of my favorite discs. :)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
This is fantastic news, but time will tell whether we get these films intact or butchered in some way. I am definitely holding onto my Miyazaki collection in its current incarnation, but if buying these new releases will support Ghibli in any way, I will buy them as well. I can understand why they chose Kiki and Laputa (two very accessible films), but some of the others are just as good.

Let me just mangle the Japanese language for a second, especially having to resort to Romanji. Demo, ii n desu ne! Watashi wa DVD no Miyazaki ga suki desu.

~j

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Disney is not allowed to make edits without explicit permission.

Other than taking forever, and doing a bad job at promotion, Disney has done right by Miyazki/Ghibli.

I have no fears that these discs will be butchered. I fully expect each title to include both english and japanese audio tracks (unlike Mononoke, all the japanese tracks only exist in 2.0 stereo) and english subtitles.

There are approved, contracted (to the original composer Joe Hisaishi), musical score additions/changes in Laputa. These will likely appear only in the new (with James Van Der Beek) english dub.

For those who are not familiar with the R2/R3 versions, it is likely that the second disc will include a reduced bitrate version of the film where you can choose (at any time, or all of the time) an alternate angle showing the storyboards for the entire film.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I agree with everyone here (except for Lambert - I'll keep my clothes on ;) ) that this is great news and I'll pre-order these as soon as they're available.
Question/speculation - since this is the first release in a series, might we expect to eventually see a 2-disc (or greater, hint, hint) re-issue of Princess Mononoke?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
What you people need to realize is that these will be the same as the Japanese discs. The second disc contains the movie in storyboard form, but hardly anything in the way of extras
There is a 3 disc "Making of Mononoke" set in Japan, but for some reason there are no English subs unlike the other Ghibli titles :frowning:

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I just hope the KIKI subtitles are proper subtitled, not the dubtitles that exist on the current Japanese Region 2 DVD. Still, if these are all done correctly I'll be very happy.

Rich P

Stunt Coordinator
For Spirited Away, I hope not. I would hope that the "red tint" has been removed from the US Region 1 disc (as I believe it was removed for the French disc).
Before it starts, my intention with this comment is not to revive the red tint debate. There are plenty of comments about that already. In addition, I have the Japanese R2 disc and don't find the red tint as objectionable on my set-up as demonstrated on some of the screen captures available. But I would like a version that removes the red tint to more accurately reflect what I think I saw when I saw the film in the theater.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The red tint is not on the US disc. Got this directly from an interview with the DP. Since there are virtually no 9300k TVs in the US the master has been retimed for 6300K

Juan C Toro

Stunt Coordinator
Absolutely, positively, I will be picking up these titles. Miyazaki's work, and Indiana Jones, are IMHO, the Holy Grail of DVD.

I just hope hundreds of thousands of people do the same, to encourage Disney to release the rest of Miyazaki's catalog... I have never seen Nausicaa, and hope to see it before I die.

JC

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
D65 (6500 Kelvin) is the standard for both the US and Japan. They blew it in Japan, there is no valid excuse
Yes I know it is, and I agree on it. The DP has made it quite clear that he signed off on it though becauseof the advent of LCD/Plasma sets in Japan. Those were his reasons

We all know they were wrong, and majorly mistaken, but he signed off on it with FULL KNOWLEGE of what he was doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks