Miyazaki's SPIRITED AWAY, KIKI, and LAPUTA in April!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael St. Clair, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Michael St. Clair

Yes, we have an anime thread. But this is big news.
    According to Steve Bissette, his Disney rep confirmed that the three aforementioned Miyazaki titles will ship on DVD this April.
    $29.99 MSRP, $19.99 Minimum Advertised Price. Each title will be a 2-disc set.
    Yowee!

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

[​IMG]
    YAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! !
    (dances around the room naked)

3. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Great news!
    I will be picking up all of these assuming they are properly subtitled. PRINCESS MONONOKE is one of my favorite discs. [​IMG]

4. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

This is fantastic news, but time will tell whether we get these films intact or butchered in some way. I am definitely holding onto my Miyazaki collection in its current incarnation, but if buying these new releases will support Ghibli in any way, I will buy them as well. I can understand why they chose Kiki and Laputa (two very accessible films), but some of the others are just as good.

Let me just mangle the Japanese language for a second, especially having to resort to Romanji. Demo, ii n desu ne! Watashi wa DVD no Miyazaki ga suki desu.

~j

5. Hakan Powers

Hakan Powers Stunt Coordinator

This is truly excellent news. I've been longing for these movies ever since I saw Mononoke for the first time.

6. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

Great - by the end of Spirited Away I was just beside myself with joy, so buying these is a necessity.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

8. Talal

Talal Stunt Coordinator

waka waka waka...

9. Michael St. Clair

Disney is not allowed to make edits without explicit permission.

Other than taking forever, and doing a bad job at promotion, Disney has done right by Miyazki/Ghibli.

I have no fears that these discs will be butchered. I fully expect each title to include both english and japanese audio tracks (unlike Mononoke, all the japanese tracks only exist in 2.0 stereo) and english subtitles.

There are approved, contracted (to the original composer Joe Hisaishi), musical score additions/changes in Laputa. These will likely appear only in the new (with James Van Der Beek) english dub.

For those who are not familiar with the R2/R3 versions, it is likely that the second disc will include a reduced bitrate version of the film where you can choose (at any time, or all of the time) an alternate angle showing the storyboards for the entire film.

10. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

There's a sight unseen disc I'm buying. I have a batting average of 1.000 with sight unseen discs.

11. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    I agree with everyone here (except for Lambert - I'll keep my clothes on [​IMG] ) that this is great news and I'll pre-order these as soon as they're available.
    Question/speculation - since this is the first release in a series, might we expect to eventually see a 2-disc (or greater, hint, hint) re-issue of Princess Mononoke?

12. Jeff Kleist

What you people need to realize is that these will be the same as the Japanese discs. The second disc contains the movie in storyboard form, but hardly anything in the way of extras
    There is a 3 disc "Making of Mononoke" set in Japan, but for some reason there are no English subs unlike the other Ghibli titles [​IMG]

13. Michael St. Clair

14. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

I just hope the KIKI subtitles are proper subtitled, not the dubtitles that exist on the current Japanese Region 2 DVD. Still, if these are all done correctly I'll be very happy.

15. Rich P

Rich P Stunt Coordinator

For Spirited Away, I hope not. I would hope that the "red tint" has been removed from the US Region 1 disc (as I believe it was removed for the French disc).
    Before it starts, my intention with this comment is not to revive the red tint debate. There are plenty of comments about that already. In addition, I have the Japanese R2 disc and don't find the red tint as objectionable on my set-up as demonstrated on some of the screen captures available. But I would like a version that removes the red tint to more accurately reflect what I think I saw when I saw the film in the theater.

16. Jeff Kleist

The red tint is not on the US disc. Got this directly from an interview with the DP. Since there are virtually no 9300k TVs in the US the master has been retimed for 6300K

17. Juan C Toro

Juan C Toro Stunt Coordinator

Absolutely, positively, I will be picking up these titles. Miyazaki's work, and Indiana Jones, are IMHO, the Holy Grail of DVD.

I just hope hundreds of thousands of people do the same, to encourage Disney to release the rest of Miyazaki's catalog... I have never seen Nausicaa, and hope to see it before I die.

JC

18. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

19. Michael St. Clair

20. Jeff Kleist