What's new

Miyazaki's SPIRITED AWAY co-wins Golden Bear (1 Viewer)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
This is the first animated film to win the Berlin Film Festival's highest award, the Golden Bear.
http://asia.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiap...eut/index.html
It's the biggest grossing film ever in Japan - $220 million. This seems astonishing, given the population of Japan. I wonder if any other film has broken the $200 million mark in Japan. Perhaps LOTR soon will? Doubtful, given the ironclad grasp Miyazaki has on the zeitgeist of the Japanese public.
Anyway, looks like another winner from Miyazaki. Wonder when it'll arrive in the US.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I had thought it broke Titanic's record in Japan already....

I hope BV gives it a larger distribution than they did for Princess Mononoke, it certainly deserves a large audience.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I'm seeing this next weekend in SF. Apprently I'm not the only one excited about it - the Saturday evening show is already sold out!
Tickets for the Sunday morning show are still available (as of this posting at www.sffs.org... hurry up! This may be the only way to see it subtitled on the big screen (unless your big screen is a 56"-er).
I'll be sure to check back at the HTF for my thoughts after next weekend.
Steve

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Spirited Away is indeed the highest grossing film in Japan. I think it out grossed Titanic by about 20 or 30 million.
FOTR has no chance at either record as it's current projected final gross in Japan is about $100 million, give or take.
When is this being released in the US? I can't wait to see it.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks