Miyazaki's "My Neightbor Totoro" announced ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aryn Leroux, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

According to Amazon.com totoro will street on 12/3
    Has anyone seen a official announcement yet ?

2. Michael St. Clair

This sounds like a rehash of the laserdisc version, which I bought years ago in a blowout sale thinking it would be in OAR.

The laserdisc is not OAR. It is pan-and-scan.

And it is only in English.

I would much rather see a Buena Vista / Ghibli version. I thought that Fox's rights expired a while back, and that Buena Vista controls this in all regions.

Very strange.

3. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

This is a major concern. According to a poster on AnimeOnDVD's forum this will be the pan and scan, English dubbed garbage that Fox put out on VHS and LD.

Why does Fox still have the rights to this, and if they do, somebody from Fox would be wise to post here and assure us this will be OAR and include the OSL, or there will be hell to pay.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Calm down there tiger- nobody owes you anything. Attitudes like yours is exactly why we see 1/10th the studio involvement with this forum than we saw this time last year. Let's all play nice, and try treat everyone (including those pissing us off) with respect.

For what it's worth, I'm also a fan of this movie and hoping to hear the facts on this situation.

-V

5. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

According to Chris, Nausicaa.net hasn't been able to confirm it yet. (And I can't get on Nausicaa.net, apparently Slashdotted.)

Jason

Edit: I doubt the details on Amazon are correct, since I find it unlikely that Fox has the DVD rights.

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

From everything I understand, Fox does NOT have the rights to that any longer. Jeff Kliest echoed that recently in the thread I posted about the VHS and LD of Totoro going on moratorium.

So, frankly, I don't believe that listing as it stands.

7. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

8. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

Vince, my apologies. :b

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Fox's rights have already expired. I see no reason why Disney doesn't hold them right now

I ALSO find it HIGHLY suspect that it's P&S. I personally SEVERELY doubt it. All Ghibli titles are being prepped and approved by Studio Ghibli, and dub-only? Again, SEVERELY doubt it. Tokuma Shoten is on the fan's side, and they're the ones who forced them to OSL Mononoke. So far as I've gotten down the grapevine, it'll be identical to the Japanese disc with obvious dub inclusion etc

Disney has not listed their December titles yet, I will not be suprised if It's Totoro and Kiki that come out first

10. Michael St. Clair

If it is Disney, I would not expect P&S, no.

If it is Fox (and I also thought their rights were expired), I could see them recycling the laserdisc.

What if Fox's rights did actually expire at the end of 2002 instead of earlier as thought, and they re-released it just to capitalize on 'Spirited Away' and make some $$$ and then take it out-of-print immediately.

Seems kind of farfetched.

When would Disney typically announce their December releases?

11. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

Jeff: i hope your right [​IMG]
    As for the inclusion of US dubs on these titles i support them only because alot of young kids who can't yet read enjoy totoro and kiki quite abit. The Original track must be there aswell though no question about it! hmmm didn't we go through this with mononoke once before? if it is disney i hope they would have learned from that.
    Hopefully they announce there december slate soon.

12. Michael St. Clair

13. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

BVHE typically reveals things in a 90-day window. So on Oct. 1st we should start seeing items with a December release date.

14. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

Fox's rights have not expired. They don't until 2004, when they go back to Buena Vista Japan and to BVHV US for release. Expect an edition to be released then that will be like the R2's.

15. Michael St. Clair

Hmmm, might be time to mod my main player so I don't have to watch imports on my PC or crappy Apex.

Chris, do you expect the R1 Buena Vista discs of the other movies to match their R2 counterparts as far as supplements go (full synchronized storyboards, etc)?

16. Michael St. Clair

After further thought...
    If Fox doesn't release this in OAR with the original soundtrack included, they simply do not understand the anime market. They would be strictly marketing the title as 'kid vid' and writing off the anime fans who are potentially as large of a market given that most 'typical families' don't look beyond the familiar brands and trademarks when buying childrens titles.
    Releasing this title P&S and only dubbed is shortsighted and bad business.
    Hopefully we get some confirmed specs soon and this is a moot point.

17. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

Michael,
    To be completely honest, I'm not sure. We've heard only a little bit really on what the R1's will be like, but we've heard that they'll be done by the same people doing the R2's.
    The R3 versions are without the 2nd disc of storyboards, which is the main appeal really. These discs aren't overly loaded with conventional extras, mostly because there really isn't all that much.
    I expect the R1's, produced by the Japanese, will be gorgeous (but will annoy some high end folks due to the lack of progressive, etc etc). When I got into DVD, I bought my R2 capable player solely for the day Ghibli movies came out, regardless of whether they were dubbed, subbed or just raw. So my enthusiasm for the R1 market for it is markedly less, because I'll have had most of these films for upwards of two years already. But I do expect the R1's to be really excellent when it comes to presentation - people not used to the anime market should just get their hopes real low when it comes to extras.
    Well, except for that double disc set of Princess Mononoke. THAT needs to get revisited for the R1 market.

18. Michael St. Clair

Chris,
    This comparison on Kiki, and another one on Totoro at the same site, says that the R3 releases do have the disc 2 with the same storyboard feature...but only with Chinese audio!
    I'm a storyboard (and production art) nut, and no other extra could get me as excited.
    I still have letterboxed fansubs of Nausicaa, Laputa, and Poco Rosso. Nasty VHS.

19. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

This page could be fake...if it was real, the company would probably be 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment...here it says CBS/FOX Home Video...

...if it is real, then it's another sign of Fox going to the dogs (look, why release it if you'll have to put it OOP in a year or two?). This, plus the special "Sunrise" offer, and the P&S discs with "No Black Bars!" stickers, confuse me. What happened to Peter Staddon?

20. Michael St. Clair