What's new

Miyazaki's Castle in the Sky (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
but typical of Disney, they just added a bunch of crap to the film.
Take 'er easy there. The English dub is different than the literal subtitles for a couple of reasons. One is to get the meaning across while maintaining reasonable dialog synchronization with the character's mouth movements. This means they will sometimes choose different words and insert additional off-screen dialog to make it fit. A second is that they will sometimes insert cultural interpretations that may help an audience not familar with Japanese culture to grasp meanings that a literal translation would not (such as the line in Mononoke about the soup tasting "like water" which was changed to it tasting "like donkey piss" to bring it to a roughly equivalent level of insult from a western audiences persepective).

The first is completely reasonable. The second is questionable, but understandable. Comissioning the extra bits of underscore was the only bit that seemed inexplicable to me.

The fact that the original sountrack and a corresponding subtitle track were made available makes all of the above forgiveable to me, though. If that's typical of Disney, then I'm all for it. It's sure a lot better than what Buena Vista has done with their Hong Kong film releases in R1. That has been a case of omitting things moreso than adding "a bunch of crap to the film".

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks