What's new

Miyazaki wave 2 (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest or recommend any of Miyazki's movies coming out in wave 2. I believe the movies are Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Porco Rosso and My Neighbor Totoro. I bought wave 1 as a blind buy and was blown away at...well everything. The visuals, the story, everything was top notch. If these movies are anything like the first wave then I'll surely buy them. I believe that Miyazaki is light years ahead of Disney.

thanks

Greg

Joshua Lane

Second Unit
Buy them all. All three movies are just as good as the last three and you really can't go wrong with any of them. However, to order them in importance and entertainment value, I suggest the following:

1. Nausicaa
2. Porco Rosso
3. My Neighbor Totoro

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Yeah if you werre blown away by the first 3, then definitely get the next 3. That's what I'm doing.

Brendon

Second Unit
May I second all three, in the order of:

1. Totoro
2. Porco & Nausicaa.

Be sure to get the new R1 Totoro (or the R2 or 3 if you can't wait) - the current disc is badly transferred and does not have the option of the original Japanese language soundtrack.

ganbatte!

Brendon

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
As an anime (Japanese Animation) buff, I say get all three with no regrets. For me Nausicaa turned me on to Miayazaki and Studio Ghibli for good. I even have the R2 of Nausicaa and Totoro, no less. For me, the order of preference is:

Nausicaa
Porco Rosso
Totoro - the most kid friendly film out there. Cat buses are... awesome.

Btw, Ganbatte means "Good luck!" or "Wish you luck!", for those who were curious.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Does anyone know what will be new about this new release of My Neighbor Totoro? Will it have the Japanese language track or remastered video?

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Assuming it's the same as the R2 (which the others have basically been plus a dub), it will have anamorphic video and a Japanese language track (w/ english subs) and a second disc w/ the film in its entirety in storyboards.

I have the Nausicaa R2 and it also features a commentary by anime director and long-time friend of Miyazaki, Hideaki Anno (in Japanese), so I am hoping for a english subtitle track for that. :)

Andrew Priest

Stunt Coordinator
Totoro is also getting a new dub by Disney. It will have the original language track as well, and both will be 5.1. And it will feature anamorphic widescreen.

Vincent Fok

Agent
Technically, there'll be no Miyazaki wave #3. All his Ghibli films will be released after wave 2:

Nausicaa (wave 2)
Castle in the Sky (wave 1)
Totoro (wave 2)
Kiki's Delivery Service (wave 1)
Porco Rosso (wave 2)
Princess Mononoke (Miramax)
Spirited Away (wave 1)

The remaining Ghibli films are not directed by Hayao Miyazaki, which include:

Only Yesterday
Ocean Waves (TV movie)
Pom Poko
Whispers of the Heart
My Neighbour The Yamadas
The Cat Returns

And Howl's Moving Castle hasn't even been released threatically.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Well if Disney will get the rights for Princess Mononoke, if they don't already, they'll add Howl's Moving Castle, which is in theaters this fall, and thus next summer would be a logical DVD release - so that's two... they'll add another Miyazaki-written film and that's your Wave 3.

Jay Gunn

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I love Totoro the most out of the three movies in Wave 2, but the other two are also great and definitely worth buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks