What's new

Miyazaki ANIME: The Cat Returns (Neko no Ongaeshi) (2 Viewers)

Scott_Jua

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone else seen this? I had the opportunity to see it recently, when a friend rented it from a local import video store. It had a Dolby Digital and DTS track if I remember correctly.

It was Soooo funny, and if you're a fan of anything directed or Produced by Hayao Miyazaki, you'll surely love this as well. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this. This is a keeper!

More INFO here

and here's a site in Thai, although it does have some great images

RafaelB

Second Unit
Hey Scott-

I'm such a Miyazaki/Ghibli-head that I've ordered it, but have only been able to watch the first 20 minutes. I've enjoyed what I've seen so far and anticipate watching the rest of the movie. The one thing that did crack me up was the "Ghiblies Episode 2" short on there. Very Japanese and very funny.

Glad to hear someone else enjoying it. :)

Rafael

Scott_Jua

Stunt Coordinator
oh... I didn't get a chance to see that short! :frowning: DAngit!

The movie as a whole was funny, I really enjoyed it. :D In fact I enjoy almost every Miyazaki/Ghibli movie I see. There's just a special quality to the worlds that they create, and it really feels good to be a part of it for a brief time. I seriously wish I could live inside some of those settings, with the gentle winds, great looking food, and awesome landscapes. Everything is lush and green. It's really nice to see once in a while, yet hard to explain how much I like it all.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Neko no ongaeshi wasn't directed by Miyazaki (he serves as a producer), but by newcomer (to directing) Hiroyuki Morita. Morita-san has also been an animator on a number of other Ghibli projects.

Miyazaki's last film (directed or produced) was supposed to have been Mononoke Hime, but because of the failure of Hohokekyo tonari no Yamada (My Neighbors the Yamadas) in 1999... he has yet to hand off the reigns.

The next Miyazaki directed film is coming next year in the form of Howl's Moving Castle which he took over after the previous director couldn't handle the pressure. Might be his last... but ya never know with this wiley guy ;)

If you'd like to buy the DVD of The Cat Returns, I suggest the Region 3 (Hong Kong) versions of the Ghibli movies. They have Dolby Digital / DTS, all the features of the Japanese discs, and english subtitles... all for half the price! ^_^ /

The retailer I use for HK/Jpn discs is www.yesasia.com.

Scott_Jua

Stunt Coordinator
I knew he didn't direct it, but I figured if I put Morita in the subject line people would say "Que" and skip over it. I did mention that he produced it... well sort of in a round about way. ;)

I wish I had an all region player... what do you use to watch them? I watched this HK version DVD at a friends house who had an all region player. So I didn't bother checking to see if it would work in my home.

Tim Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
Rob Lutter said:

If you'd like to buy the DVD of The Cat Returns, I suggest the Region 3 (Hong Kong) versions of the Ghibli movies. They have Dolby Digital / DTS, all the features of the Japanese discs, and english subtitles... all for half the price! ^_^ /
Actually, I would not recommend going for the HK release of The Cat Returns as it apparently does not contain the Ghiblis Episode 2 which in itself makes purchasing the more expensive Japanese release worthwhile.

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
I bought the Region 2 edition a couple of months back. I thought it was really excellent stuff and I thouroughly enjoyed it. The movie can be taken as a vague sequel to the earlier 'Whisper of the Heart' but you don't need to have seen that movie to appreciate TCR ( the character of the Baron appeared in a fantasy sequence in WOTH ).
I especially liked the soundtrack. I find that Japanese movies often have superb soundtracks!
As for Ghiblies 2... weird but enjoyable :)

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Well, it is a sequel to Whisper of the Heart (mimi wo sumaseba), since two of the prime characters, the Baron and Moon, crossed over to this new movie. :) I also bought it when it first came out on DVD. What a great investment. Wonderful movie too. Those who didn't show up at our anime club during the summer break lost out. We may not show it again....hahaha.

I can't wait for Howl's Castle which comes out in 2004.

Hehehe, Rob, I knew you shouldn't buy the HK disc for some reason or other. ;P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks