What's new

Mixing Tubes and SS (1 Viewer)

Brian tj

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all
I am looking at Audio Experience Concerto tube phono preamp to go with B&K ref-50 and 200.7 amp! your $0.02
Thanks

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If it has the ability to tailor the capacitance to the cartridge that would be a plus feature. Myself, I'm not familiar with the unit.

Yogi

Screenwriter
I have no experience with phono preamps but in the past I have had very good success mating tube pre's with SS amps. Just make sure the tube pre has low enough output impedance to drive the B&K which has 33K of input impedance. Point to note: B&K amps sound really good with tube preamps. They come very close and I mean within about 85-90% of an all tube setup. I can vouch for that as I have experienced it first hand in my setup.

Best of luck.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
OK, I've seen the website and read the reviews. What follows are my opinions and are irrespective of my likes or dislikes regarding tubes.

1) This is a unit that hasn't been reviewed in any notable or even semi-notable publication. There's no mention of it whatsoever on the newsgroups. While the few that did comment on it spoke positively, I'd have wanted to see some technical measurements that would at least verify some of the specifications.

2) The list price is vastly overstated and likely it'll go for 1/3 or so. I'd estimate the cost to manufacture it at well under $100 US, maybe even under $50. Parts are dirt cheap overseas and I do mean dirt cheap.

3) I see no mention of warranty and how one obtains service or even what happens if you don't like it. I see that as a potential headache.

4) There are obviously not too many of these being made or sold in the US. To me it brings into question issues of future support and long term commitment by the maker. A few bad months and he's out there repairing TV's.

5) I'm not enamoured by hand made. Quality is always more variable and this was alluded to by Knapp's review regarding putting the unit back together. Cost's also escalate with hand made and one reviewer on audioasylum noted issues with the grounding. There were no replies and I gather no significant interest.

6) The additonal equalization curves are 'so what' to my mind. You'd need to find a record utilizing the others. Got any?

7) There are no capabilities for varying either the loading or the capacitance. With the many cartridges that are out there, many of which are a little peculiar, this can be a positive feature to have.

8) The gain does not appear to be adjustable. Why?

9) I don't know if the unit has been certified by the FCC with regards to EMI/RFI emissions. If not, this is profoundly disturbing and may well cause issues with equipments.

10) There's no spec for THD which may be significant although generally considered euphonic.

11) The noise levels struck me as a bit high but that's typical of tube based devices which have an inherant noise and in minimalist designs, that's just the way it is.

If you're going to try it, I'd make damned sure I can return it for full money back. Likely you'd have to eat s/h + insurance both ways so that's your potential cost if you decide it's not for you.

Brian tj

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks chu
Yes $450.00 inc ship& hand. Good call or did you see the add on ebay? Warranty is not to scary but a good ? tubs are fairly simple to repair. Tanks for the comments allot to consider. But mite give it a try. I do not won't to spend $20.00 at RShack or $2000.00 at hi end shop & ho knows mabe I can modify it and mack it better:D You see I also looked at kits $250+ sh and at That only 2 tubes I don't think it as good and still meany of the same ???????.
hay did you ever look at my DIY cabinet with the stanelles steel shelves??;) I know aver kill for shielding but the mut$$ nothing I used shorts from my shop and $34.00 for a sheet of 1/4 birch you see I wonted thin like glass but glass shop sed $350.00 to $400.00 for shelves to much. Cheeper and also functional and I have option of ether side up for looks. Hear is web page very old needs updating. http://users.nac.net/armor/

Brian tj

Stunt Coordinator
One more thing duuu The add on ebay ses 2Year warranty. But yes dealing over seas is scary.
tanks agin for the help Brian

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If you're skilled in electronics and have appropriate test equipment, then yes, you could certainly modifiy the device. Then at least you'd know objectively what the net effect of changes you made were. Personally, I think you need more clarification as to the warranty and exactly how you obtain service and what sort of delays you would expect. Also I find the absence of what appears to be an FCC certification profoundly disturbing. In fact, it's illegal although I don't think anyone's going to be pounding down your door.
The shelving looks real nice Brian. You should maybe consider posting how you made it and some close up pictures with better lighting over on the DIY forum.

Brian tj

Stunt Coordinator
Thank Chu
Good all around advice. Don't think I hold so much faith in FCC, To do me any good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks