Mixing Subwoofers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Erik.Ha, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

If I upgrade my 75 watt powered sub (which puts out a decent amount of bass for its size) to say a big SVS, could I run BOTH at the same time, or would that cause sound/set-up problems?

2. Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala Stunt Coordinator

In the past, I've had 5 subwoofers in my home theater set-up. What I have learned is that I was better off just using 1 good sub.The rest were just overkill. To answer you question, yes, you can run 2 subs, but IMO, you won't need to if you have just one good one. [​IMG][​IMG]

3. AxelKro

AxelKro Stunt Coordinator

Hi Eric,

I would go (actually I DID go) the route to use either one good one or two identical subs.

I took two identical good ones [​IMG]

There will be a sonic difference between a good Sub and a cheap one as cheaper models do have a very narrow frequency band where they are strong & noticeable. They tend to get boomy too.
    From my positioning close beside the couch, this difference would certainly be distracting.

4. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Thanks, That's what I suspected... The reason I ask, is I was thinking of getting an SVS tube, but my boxsub is an integral part of my living room since I use it to set stuff on...

5. AxelKro

Hi Erik,

I am in a very similar situation.
    That's why I ordered the PB1+ models from SVS.
    My previous Sub was a Yamaha SW-800, which was hidden under a table. Now, the Subs ARE the table(s)!

[​IMG]

6. Rudi B

Rudi B Stunt Coordinator

I too had that one... Worlds apart.

But, the latest comment on a PB2+ was that it looks like a coffin. [​IMG]

7. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Christ on a Cracker!!! How big are these freakin' things??? I don't want to get divorced when UPS arrives at the door with the monolith from "2001".

8. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Christ on a Cracker!!! How big are these freakin' things??? I don't want to get divorced when UPS arrives at the door with the monolith from "2001".

9. AxelKro

Hi Rudi,

yeah, PB2+, the instant black dwarf coffin [​IMG]

Actually, I took the PB1+ as I find the other models being too high for a living room usage. And the PB1-ISD reminded me too much to the Yamaha and its weak performance.

Within a purely on HT focussed room, I would not care about size and shape of any speaker.

Within our living room, I have to.
    I can't pay the Subs AND the divorce. [​IMG]

10. Joseph Sabato

Joseph Sabato Stunt Coordinator

The other issue with having 2 subs is that unless you have a lot of flexibilty in placement and the patience to measure and check things out to optimise the in room response, your results may be worse than having one.

This was the case for me; on sub was pretty flat down to 20Hz, the other rolled off starting at abot 38Hz, had a huge dip at 25Hz and came back up slightly at 20HZ ( THESE ARE IDENTICAL SUBS). The combined response was worse than the first sub's alone.

As soon as I get motivated, I will be taking measurements on the best location for an Infinite Baffle manifold so I can have both drivers at the same location. Check out my results under the measurements link..

Sub Measurements