Mixing Paradigm Reference & Monitor Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WilliamJay, Nov 18, 2001.

1. WilliamJay

WilliamJay Stunt Coordinator

This is my first post. I am an HTF virgin so please be gentle. I recently made my first significant HT purchase and bought Monitor 5s and a CC-370. I originally went into purchase the mini-monitors but thought the 5s were much nicer.
    One day, being an idiot, I listened to the Studio 40s and thought they sounded great. Big mistake, I'm hooked. Would it be a big mistake to purchase Studio 40s to replace the Monitor 5s as my fronts and switch the 5s to my rears (will replace small Cambridge Soundworks Dipoles)? Given, that I would wait to upgrade the CC-370 to the Studio CC.
    Also, would it make sense to switch the CC-370 to the rear when I upgrade to the Studio CC or would I be better off selling the Monitor Speakers and start from scratch with the Reference Series? The bottom line is would Reference speakersup front and Monitors in back sound terrible?
    Additionally, I have a Cambridge Soundworks Basscube 8 as my subwoofer. Would it make more sense to replace the subwoofer before I get new front speakers.
    And, finally, I plan on purchasing a new receiver, eithera Denon 3802 or an Integra 7.2. I don't know if this would affect anyone's recommendations.
    I would really appreciate your advice and help. Thanks in advance.

2. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

Upgrading is what it means, you upgrade. If you have the money and the desire, buy the Studio 40's and move the 5's to the rears. When your budget fits, buy the Studio CC and Studio 20's for rears. But do it within a timeline accourding to budget. It will be more fun and you will get to notice different aspects of upgrading.
    It is improtant to keep a matching timbre throughout you speakers but this is only possible if you are willing to buy a whole series of speakers at once. I have the Full Monitor series, and the only reason I haven't upgraded to the studio line is due to budget (being a college student).
    But if you are able to make the purchases without putting yourslef in the whole....do it, it's fun.
    ------------------
    Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
    Could you pick them up for me?

3. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I originally had Mini-Monitors upfront, with the CC350 and upgraded to Studio 40s and the Studio CC. My Mini-Monitors went to the rear, and it still sounds great. Eventually the rears will be upgraded, and my Minis will go in the bedroom. I really don't think you will be compromising your system by putting your Monitor 5s in the rear. I'm extremely happy with my system. I say, go for the Studio 40s, upgrade to the Studio CC next (more important), then upgrade the rears when you can.
    And welcome!

4. David Smith

David Smith Stunt Coordinator

Pamela,
    I have taken a very similar path of speaker upgrade, although I'm not done yet. I also had Mini-Monitor mains and a CC-350. I upgraded my Mini's to Studio 40, and left my CC-350 as a center and Mini's as rear. While the CC-350 matched the mini's perfectly and sounded excellent, it's amazing how insufficient the CC-350 was in matching the 40's. The 40's truly are amazing speakers! Anyway, I didn't have the budget to upgrade to the Studio CC yet, so I have just sold my CC-350 and I'm running the 40's only accross the front soundstage for now. It sounds much better, especially if you're sitting in the sweet spot.
    As for the Mini's in the rear, they are still doing a great job, and I see no reason to upgrade to the Studio series.
    WilliamJay,
    I made the same mistake of listening to the 40's after purchasing the Monitor line! As far as your speaker package, I agree that the Monitor 5's are better as front mains, but have you considered trading down for now to the Mini's in the rear, so you can more easily afford to upgrade the entire front LCR to Studio series?
    As I said earlier, In my experience, the rears can definitely wait, and honestly, as long as the Mini's don't ever disappoint me back there, I may not upgrade them for a long, long time!
    Good luck with your upgrade path!

5. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

for me the fronts and center is more important than matching the rear speakers. i have the studio20 front and still the cc170 and atoms for rears. the studio20 is very much clearer than the cc170 (will upgrade soon) but the atoms for rears are still fine but i think this will change if you will be listening to multichannel music.

6. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    The Monitor 5's in the rear with the Studio's up front should be fine. Like other have said, the most important thing is matching the fronts and center. I have Ref.20's in front and rear along with the Studio CC but I am planning on putting Mini Monitors as my center surrounds.
    ------------------

7. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

Keep in mind that you can always run center in phantom mode - no real center speaker; if you have a mismatch between center and fronts, switch to phantom and compare what works for you.
    Sometimes no speaker in center is better than wrong speaker in center...
    _zjt

8. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

He he he,
    I also made the mistake of listening to ref 20's and I nearly freaked out!!! [​IMG]
    As for the lower speakers in the rear being noticeable, I have atoms surrounds, monitor 7 up front and have no problem with it at all for movies. Unfortunately, I recently rearranged my room and all of a sudden 5Ch stereo has become very attractive... I listen to music half of the time this way, and the difference IS noticeable, but still doesn't bother me. If you litsten to multichannel music you might feel different.
    One great idea I got from this thread is to sell the entire front stage, get the ref 60 (I prefer towers) and run a phantom center... veeeeeeeeeeeery interesting [​IMG]
    Does anyone know if the 60's are worth the differrence over the 40's? I cross over @ 80Hz like everybody [​IMG]
    --
    Holadem

9. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know if the 60's are worth the differrence over the 40's? I cross over @ 80Hz like everybody

Have not had a chance to check. I migrated from Monitor ( to 40, with phantom center (Paradigm does not make active-60 :) it is a blast... I do not need regular center, since I use it for music only in a 6 speaker system - center place is occupied by nice fireplace.

_zjt

10. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

The Studio 40 and the Monitor 7 have the same "Low Frequency Extension (DIN??)" of 34Hz. Does that mean they have comparable bass responses, even though one bookshelf and the other is a tower?

--

Holadem

11. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

12. WilliamJay

WilliamJay Stunt Coordinator

I appreciate the input from everyone. I would also be curious to get people's opinions on the Integra 7.2 vs. the Denon 3802. I currently have a Dolby Pro Logic only Marantz SR-66.

13. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Ask your Paradigm dealer... maybe they have an upgrade-within-a-year policy?? Perhaps you can take advantage of this? Yes, definitely pick up the 40's. Get the J-series stands for them though, they really make a difference! You might consider selling your old speaks and getting the matching center. What are you running for rears now? If you already have rears, use those and sell both your 5's and 370, and have cash to spare for a later upgrade in the rear?

I don't think you can go too far wrong with either the Denon or the Integra. Even the Onkyo 797 for that matter. There's plenty of threads on this subject - do a search. I like Onkyo as a good match for Paradigm.