Mixing Ohms...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Bobby C, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Bobby C

Bobby C Stunt Coordinator

This is probably a very basic questions - forgive, as I should probably know this.

I have an excellent pair of exising Dynaudio speakers, they are 4ohm. Can they be mixed in with surrounds & centers that are 6 ohm? Is there a type of equalizer for this type of mixing?

Thanks,
    Bob

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What will you be driving them with, as this is what matters more than the speakers. The short answer is yes, as long as whatever you are driving them with can handle the load without driving them to distortion.

3. BenCosta

BenCosta Agent

John is correct. Driving speakers of mixed impedances should never be a problem provided that your receiver or amp is capable of safely powering the lower impedance.

Peace-

Ben

4. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

My friend has a Yamaha 70Wx5 reciever that would be perfect to drive those, because it has an option to drive 4-ohm mains and 6-ohm center and surrounds, with the flick of a switch.

5. Bobby C

Bobby C Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will be driving them w/ something like an Anthem MCA20, if power is the issue, I think I'll have plenty.

Thanks,
    bob

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Power isn't the simple answer - it's how the amp delivers power with a lower nominal impedance load, though with that puppy, you should be fine.