Mixing of SVS subs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Gibson, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Jeff Gibson

Jeff Gibson Auditioning

This is my first post; hope I don't screw it up too badly.

From all the positive reviews of SVS, there is little doubt that I too will soon be a proud owner of one of these systems. Just wondering how taboo it would be to mix different SVS subs in the same system. For example, an Ultra and a 20-39+, a 16-46 and a 16-46+, a 20-39 and a 20-39+, etc.

To me it would seem that one could mix a 16-46+ with a 25-31+ and get good results way down low as well as in the higher bass frequencies.

--Jeff

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Jeff,

"To me it would seem that one could mix a 16-46+ with a 25-31+ and get good results way down low as well as in the higher bass frequencies."

I thought the same thing too, but the prevailing opinion on this forum is that they should be the same if at all possible.

BTW, welcome!

Michael

3. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Jeff,

Mike is right. Generally we recommend to folks to simply pick the size/tune of sub that seems to best fit the type of programming the enjoy (and their budget of course).

Then we encourage folks that have large rooms, and perhaps even larger appetites for deep and loud, theater levels of bass to get the number of like subs that will satisfy them. Calibrating the same type subs is far easier than attempting to adjust level on varying types of bass and get the last degree of performance.

There is one caveat to this, for exceptionally small rooms the mix and match approach can work better. If Tom happens along he might add a bit on why.

The bottom line is that usually you will do better with matching subs in both performance and the all important ease of use.

Ron