Mixing JBL

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ChrisTes, Oct 20, 2005.

1. ChrisTes

ChrisTes Agent

I've heard that it is OK to mix speakers of the same brand and class, but ideally you want to have the same speakers all the way around. I picked up a used pair of JBL TLX105's for $20 to make surround sound while I build the rest of my system. I also bought a pair of new JBL E30s for $140. I'm using the E30s for mains and the TLX105s for L/R surrounds. I really like the sound from the E30s, but I'm not so keen on the size. I originally chose the E30s because their range was greater than the E20s. I'm not sure that I want to get a full set of them (6 total). I can afford them and no one will nag me about the size (except my roommate?), but that's not the problem, it's the size. Would my surround sound suffer greatly by filling in the remaining speakers with the E20s? Also, how much of a difference would i notice between the EC25 and EC35? There is also quite a size differences between them too. I'm in a small apartment, so having these huge hulking boxes looks very intimidating. Also, if it matters I have a Yamaha RX-V1300. Thanks. Chris

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Great AV Receiver!!! I've been using it basically daily since April 2003 and it's performance is superb! At -5 dB below REF Level (approx. 110 dBc** Fast LFE SPL Peaks) there is no background hiss during the quiet scene's in my blockbuster DVD's and it easily plays the wide dynamic's cleanly with no stress or compression!!! (**JBL S-Series w/SVS 25-31PCi - did disturb my neighbor apt. wall and window located over 50' away! :b)

Phil

3. ChrisTes

ChrisTes Agent

Thanks for the advice.

4. John S

John S Producer

Yeah, that is the benefit on the E30's and their size. Front port, so you can wall mount them more easily.

5. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Glad to help!

FYI: Read APRIL 2004 Sound & Vision subjective (w/Objective Benchmark SPL Chart) on-line review - JBL EC35, E20, E10 and a pair of E250P sub's @ "This LINK"

Al Griffin conclusion was "... JBL’s Northridge E Series system is an amazing value that delivers exceptional sound."

Phil