Mixing JBL S Series I and II - should I do it?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Charlie B. Ch., Nov 15, 2003.

1. Charlie B. Ch.

Charlie B. Ch. Stunt Coordinator

Here is my situation, I originally have 4 S26 and a S-Center (all Series 1). The S-Center recently and accidentally fell down from it 5' shelf and it now is dead. As such, I need a new center speaker that matches the existing ones. I also want to upgrade to 7.1.

The S Series II are easier to find and mostly cheaper than the original series. If I purchase the S38II and S Center II and use them as the fronts & center in my current system, will that be a not so good idea? Also, the S310II is only about $100 more (per pair) than the S38II, should I get the floor standing ones instead?

I admit that I am a novice when it comes to audio and I bought most of my equipments based on recommendations on this board. The receiver I am using is the Pioneer 811 (50 watts * 7) and I am using JBL PB10 as sub. I plan to upgrade the sub to SVS in the next 2-3 months and upgrade the receiver to one which has DVI switching when one is available. Thank you in advance.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Won't make any difference. They sound the same. Personally, I'd stick with the S38s.

3. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I agree with Johns comment, go for the S38s, great speaker, and you wont see any noticeable difference between Series I & II. I would save the extra $100 and buy the SVS sooner.

4. Greg Conti

Greg Conti Stunt Coordinator

The only reason I would get the S310s is if you were going to put the S38's on stands. The shape looks funny on stands and by the time you pick up a set of nice stands, you pais for the S310s.

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

6. Charlie B. Ch.

Charlie B. Ch. Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the advice guys. I think that I will go with the S38II. I already have a 24" stand that has a 8"x8" top plate. I think that the only difference between the S310 and S38 is that the S310 has a 10" woofer while the S38 has 8" woofer. That should be pretty much irrelevant if I buy the SVS (90% of my listening is HT).

Thanks.

7. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Not if you buy an SVS. You're sub will then handle all bass below your crossover frequency. Since you won't be doing much music, the 38's should be great. I myself just picked up a pair of 310 II's Friday night and I just love them, and they're not even broke in yet! These are excellent speakers for the price. For myself, I'll be using the built in woofers for music and my SVS for movies. So far, these things sing with music. Whichever you go with, I wouldn't wait long since the Studio series has been discontinued. They are going fast.