What's new

Mixing Axiom QS8's for rears into Paradigm Reference series? (1 Viewer)

Donald_Spry

Stunt Coordinator
I love my Paradigms, but the studio ADP's are extremely large. Also, the thought of spending 800-1k for a set of rear surrounds seems a bit much for me. Another point is the "happy medium" the Axiom quadpolar design seems to have in the debate over monopole vs. dipole.
If I was to mix the Axioms in to my setup of Ref 40/CC, would my HT experience be audibly dampened by not matching all speakers?
I know it is important to try and match, but just how important. For instance, I could
a. Drop the Paradigms and go with a complete set of Axioms (m60,vp150,QS8). Which would be a small down grade? Correct or not?
b. Keep the Paradigms and add in the quadpolar Axioms
c. Stay in the Paradigm family, but drop to the monitor or performance series ADP (adp-350 or 150) Which would be a small down grade when compared to Axioms Top of the line rears? Correct or not?
Or, I could go with option
D. Go completely insane trying to rationalize this new upgrade! :D :angry:
Any suggestions?
I would also like to thank everyone in this forum for the wealth of knowledge they have given me in just my short amount of time as a member. Between searching the archives (most of my day) and posting, I don't think there is anything you guys/gals could not answer. You have already help me make so many purchasing decisions. Like helping me decided on the SVS 20-39pci over the 25-31pci. I will be purchasing this with in the next month.
Thanks again
DJ

Marc H

Second Unit
The Axiom Quadpoles do generate a cool enveloping effect with minimum of detail loss but Paradigm and Axiom do sound a fair bit different if you are worried about timbre matching.
If you stay with the Paradigms, consider Dahlquist QX20R as the effects channel speakers. A great match sonically to Paradigm.
They are switchable between direct or dipole mode too.
qx20ras.jpg

Donald_Spry

Stunt Coordinator
Would I be down grading if I was to drop the Paradigms for the Axioms M60's and matching CC?

I have never heard of the Dahlquist so I will have to do some research on them. Thanks for the info.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Donald:

Been meaning to reply to this thread but it slipped my mind until now. You haven't really gotten an adequate answer to your question.

It is totally NON-critical to match your rear surrounds with your front/center speakers. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever for HT purposes. The only situation where it matters is for music when you are playing 5/6 channel stereo. But in that situation, the larger problem is the use of multipolar speakers in the first place. They just aren't the greatest for music. If you listen to a lot of 5 channel stereo, then stick with monopolar surrounds. If OTOH your application is mostly HT, or if your music listening is mainly 2-channel, then mulipolar speakers are fine and you do NOT need to worry about matching the rear speakers.

I do not advise trading in your Studio 40's for anything in the Axiom line. The top of their line would be at best a lateral move from the Studio 40's. You could find you slightly prefer the Axioms, or just as easily the opposite.

In your situation, I would get the QS8's and keep the Dimes. That b-stock price of $350 is very tough to beat for multipolar surrounds of that quality. Even the A-stock price is pretty good. Alternatively, get the Paradigm ADP-170 dipoles for around the same price if you really are concerned about a match. But based on reputation and design, I would guess the QS8's are superior *as surrounds in an HT system*.

Personally, I have Studio 20's and the Studio CC, with Titans as surrounds. I am going to replace the Titans with QS8's in a few weeks. I started a thread about this about a week ago. Run a search.

Nick V

Second Unit
Marc,
I've been looking into those Dahlquist speakers for the rears in my HT and was wondering if they have a web-page and prices??
BTW, my HT setup right now is as follows:
Mains: Paradigm Monitor 11's(2)
Centre: Paradigm CC-370(1)
Rear L/R: Polk Audio satellites(2)
Rear C: Polk audio satellite centre channel(1)
Sub: Polk audio 8" down-firing (upgrading fast)
BTW, Is it just me or do those Dahlquist speakers look like a rip-off of the Paradigm Monitor series??
Thanks for you help:)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Eric (or anyone), regarding the Axiom quadpolars, is there any fear that the titanium tweeter, which supposedly reproduces frequencies up to 22 kHz, will sound noticeably brighter and more forward than the Paradigms (or, say, Divas)?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
(Of course, the great thing about the Axioms is that you can return them in 30 days with very minimal shipping costs if they don't work out)

Marc H

Second Unit
Eric, I spoke on the phone with Donald yesterday and basically re-iterated what you said. Told him that if it's just for movies then no worries but if it's for multi-channel music then it may be annoying.
Nick, Yes they do look a bit similar in front baffle styling, eh?
The Dahlquist website is under construction at the moment but here's the link:
Link Removed
The only specs I can refer you to right now are at my site:
Link Removed
I am impressed with their full line of gear so far.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Eric: When you say surrounds are you saying side or rear (center as in a 7.1 set-up)?

My reason for asking is I am torn between using direct radiating speaker for the rear center with the QS8 for the sides or two pairs of QS8's for rear and sides.

Using two pairs of QS8's

-great for ambient sounds

-placement not as much of an issue

-love the QS8 design and sound

Using M3's for rear and QS8 for sides

-accurate reproduction of direct effects

-the sides should (?) create the ambient effects and soundstage, so two pairs of quad are not necessary/overkill

I can see both sides. What are your and other's thoughts on this issue. In my case, the set-up is 100% HT.

Thanks

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks