Mixing and matching THX speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Genovese, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

If I read the THX specs correctly, it is possible to mix and match THX certified speakers and still have a reasonably good sonic match because of the certification. Any comments?

The reason I ask is that I am in the market for 4 surrounds to complement my M&K S150's but M&K's surrounds are a tad rich for me right now. Four SS-150's will run around $1600 whereas I can buy 4 Jamo D6 surrounds for $1000 or better yet 4 Atlantic Technology 350 surrounds for around $650. All of these are THX Ultra certified. Are these possible options or am I better off to bite the M&K bullet.

2. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

No, they will not all sound the same because of the THX certification. Remember when buying loudspeakers, THX means nothing really..

Make sure your front sound stage is matched!

3. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

4. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    What is the purpose of Loudspeaker THX certification? I have to say I don't see what it could possibly mean.

Do I get more sound with THX certified speakers? -I doubt it.

Do I get better sound? -Again, I doubt it.

5. Tony Genovese

6. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    Thanks Tony, I've read that.......It sounds good, but in practice isn't it more a function of speaker placement and reciever performance?

7. Tony Genovese

The qualities of THX certified speakers that I really like are limited vertical dispersion (takes care of floor and ceiling reflections) and the natural roll off caused by the bass loading (sealed box). This makes room and subwoofer integration very easy. I've become a big fan of satellite subwoofer systems and the THX program gets the integration part very right. So in answer to your question about getting better sound from certified speakers, I think you've got a better chance of getting better sound than you do with speakers that aren't certified.