Mixing A/V units - is it a good ideea? please help.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dani Anton, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Dani Anton

Dani Anton Auditioning

Is it a good ideea to mix the A/V units or keep the HT system within the same brand?
    For example, I had my eyes on Denon receiver, Panasonic DVD, Sony 400 CD Changer, and speakers.... I don't know yet.
    Or shall I buy everything one brand?
    Any advise is greatly apreciated.
    Thanks

2. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

The main reason for remaining within a particular brand is to avoid juggling too many remote controls. However, if your Denon receiver remote can control the Sony CDP and Panny DVD this is not a problem. I have 7 brands in my HT and a minimum of 3 remotes (one for Receiver/Tape/DVD/VCR/TV; another controls CD/DVD/TV/VCR/lights; the third is required by my cable box); my Onkyo receiver remote refuses to control non-Onkyo CD changers.

One other reason is to coordinate recording (CD to Tape, etc.)

Of course this isnt an issue for speakers. Often you can find better speakers from non-electronics brands.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Simplicity for controlling the different components is about the only reason for staying within one brand. I did this with the 2nd system in our master bedroom (Sony TV, DVD player and old Pro Logic receiver) to make it simple for my wife to operate. Performance was a secondary concern for this system. However, in our main system no two components are from the same manufacturer (including the universal remote control). I prefer to add the best component for my needs regardless of manufacturer -- and using a universal remote keeps system operation easy.

4. Martice

Martice Screenwriter