Mixed MAR vs. OAR experience at Suncoast recently

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JJR512, Nov 13, 2002.

1. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

I was browsing around in my local Suncoast recently and saw that the people working there seem to be pretty well pro-OAR. If a customer came up to the counter with a non-OAR version of a title, the clerk would point that out to the customer and ask if they wanted the "correct" version. If asked why widescreen was better, the clerk would do the dollar bill demonstration, showing how the whole dollar is the whole image like on a movie theater screen, then fold back the edges and explain how that's what you're missing. I saw this done a few times. With one guy, he didn't need the demo, because he said he meant go get the widescreen and didn't notice he picked up the wrong one. Another person was convinced to buy the widescreen version after the demo.
    So, that's all good, right?
    Well, yes, but here's the thing...On the in-store TVs, they were showing the MAR version of Spider-Man! [​IMG]

2. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Eh, everybody has their gaffes.

3. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Second Unit

They probably still have VCR's hooked up to those tv's, hense the FOOL screen of Spiderman

4. Larry W

Larry W Agent

Yes, I work for Suncoast and we still use VCRs for in store play. If the video was widescreen, we would play it. However, we do have a first generation DVD player that always plays a trailer Disc. So, when we stop the movie in the VCR, you get to see some trailers. Hopefully, in the near future, our play list will convert to DVD. But, from what I have seen from the current management I'm under, it may be a little while.

5. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Suncoast has hideous pricing anyway - even worse than Borders.

6. Larry W

Larry W Agent

Suncoast has to sell at MSRP. Which is the price the studio sets, not Suncoast. The reason for that is Suncoast only makes money off their movies. Best Buy, Circuit City doesn't make money on their movies. In fact, they lose money from them. BB and CC want you to come into the store to buy other things with the movie you purchase. That is where they make their money.
    I don't know how many times a customer has come into my Suncoast, ask me all the details about an upcomming DVD, thanks me for the info and say to me he doesn't want to reserve it because he is going to get it at BB.
    But, Suncoast does have the Replay program. Just yesterday I had a Replay customer in my store and pick up at copy of SW:AOTC on DVD. He paid for it with his Replay Certificates. In other words, he got it for free.