Mix & Match HTS?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Greg Labate, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Greg Labate

Greg Labate Stunt Coordinator

Do most out there buy their home theater speakers from one brand, or mix and match from different brands? Anyone have problems mixing brands?

2. Tim Stumpf

Tim Stumpf Stunt Coordinator

The conventional wisdom is to match the front 3 speakers, i.e. center and left and right main within the same line of speakers from the same OEM. In other words, get the front 3 as a set that are meant to operate together. This will make for smooth and accurate panning effects across your front sound stage. The rears and subwoofer are less important as to matching. I think many people match brands because they buy sets of speakers all at one time and it just works out that way. My experince is that the subwoofer is most often from another company than the other speakers. A good sub should be able to integrate well with almost any other set of speakers because of the nature of low frequency sound. Hope that helps.

3. Rick Cohen

Rick Cohen Agent

If you already have a mix and match set of speakers try them and use them before you go out and buy a whole new set. Invariably even with identical speakers, placement will change their sound characteristics to some degree as well as the adjacent surface materials.