Mix and Match?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steve_Barrow, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Steve_Barrow

Steve_Barrow Agent

you all have been a great source of info while I go through this upgrade [​IMG] Thanks!

Alas I have another question, and I thought some opinions might help me decide.

Due to budget, I'm still debating the reciever / seperates. in my auditioning, so far I think the clear winner is Parasound set, but up here in western Canada, it's far from a cheap prospect compared to what I have seen State side.

Anyway, been thinking as I slowly build, would it be a step in the wrong direction to put, say, an Parasound A23 with a denon 2805? use the 2 channel for the fronts and music and allow the denon to handle processing and the rest of the 7.1 setup for movies. Eventually I'd move to a proper Pre/Pro, but would I get anywhere near the full effect of the parasound with this, or any power amp for that matter?

Any and all opinions would be appreciated, thanks!

2. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

Hi Steve, many people are doing what you are suggesting. I have a separate amp running my front 3 speakers using a denon rcvr. as a matter of fact I am thinking of adding NAD 2 channel amp for my front left/right speakers and moving my acurus extra 2 channels to power my surrounds.

Regards, Tom

3. Steve_Barrow

Steve_Barrow Agent

Ahh thanks Tom. Do you find the amp off the pre outs make a noticable difference? I'm probably 70/30 HT to 2 Channel, but in all my demos, I sure notice a much bigger difference in sound quality with 2Ch on seperates than I do HT. Just swallowing 3K for a Pre/Pro before I even get an AMP has me a bit shy considering my budget

4. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Steve - I use 2 outlaw m200 monoblocks to run my LR channels and use a denon 3803 to power the rest. I think it sounds great. You might even find that this path will give you the results you're hoping for and maybe even save a little cash along the way.

5. Steve_Barrow

Steve_Barrow Agent

Well, no negative feedback on the approach has me thinking this might be a good way to go after all. I think I'll haul my speakers down to the shop that carries both Denon and Parasound and see how it sounds compared to the A23/A52/C2 combo I have already heard. and the denon alone.

thanks guys!

6. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

If you can, I'd suggest bringing the equipment home and testing it there. The dealer's showroom and your listening room at home will probably sound dramatically different. It's simply amazing how much a room will affect sound. Plus the dealer may pressure you into buying the more expensive equipment by telling you you're idea isn't such a great one.

7. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

Hi Steve, to my ears running separate amps makes a difference to the sound. To me they add clarity and a fuller sound. They also remove at least the extra load off the rcvr's amp section. [​IMG]

I did add the nad amp to the front l/r speakers. How sweet the sound.[​IMG]

Regards, Tom

8. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    Steve, get the dealer to allow you to audition the amplifiers at your home, unless you plan on watching your movies and listening to your music at the dealer's anytime you feel like it. [​IMG]
    I agree with the rest of guys here, adding separate power amps will make the difference of night & day.
    Tom, Just curious, which NAD amp did you add to your fronts? I initially added the 218THX for the fronts and later the S250 for the other 5 channels. The 218THX blew me away and I didn't know my Klipsch KLF-20's could sound so FULL and powerful!!! [​IMG]

9. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

Hi Laurence, I went with the C272. Its rated 150w into 4/8 ohms. I am using a Denon 4802 as a pre amp. The Nad is running 2 Linn Ninka's rated as 4 ohm loads. I also have an Acurus 200x3. The acurus is now powering Linn Trikan cc and two Paradigm ADP 350's. The Denon is used to power two Paradigm Mini Monitors as surround "B" speakers and 2 Paradigm Atoms used as EX/ES back surround speakers.

Eventually my goal is to go separate preamplifier, possibly NAD or Outlaw? I would also like to replace the remaining Paradigms with Linn. I am thinking about using Trikans in the place of theb Paradigms all around the room.

Least but not last I am using Paradigm Servo 15 for a Sub.

I am quite happy with the Nad amp powerring the Ninka's. As a matter of fact the dealer was using this amp and a Nad stereo preamp as his in store demo set up.

As far as separate amplification is concerned, at this point I would not even think about using a system without
    it.

Regards, Tom

10. Steve_Barrow

Steve_Barrow Agent

I don't see a lot of people talking about NAD in these forums. I found what appears to be a good deal on a T163 / T973 combo today, was about 35% off list for the pair. I listened to them and was pretty impressed with the sound and actually considering them.

I wish I could demo more at home but I'm starting building the room they will go into next month and sadly if you want to demo at home from any of the dealers up here, they want full price up front, no deals. kinda a rock and a hard place sadly.

11. Steve_Barrow

Steve_Barrow Agent

well thanks for the input guys. I managed to find a decent deal and bit the bullet and went with Rotel 1068 and 1075 combo. and I have to be honest...I very glad I did, the cost was up there comapred to what I was considering but overall I'm very very happy with the purchase. I'm sure I'll be even happier when I add the 1080 to power the fronts and get another set of speakers to fill in for 7.1

Anyway, again thanks HTF members for all the great input!