What's new

Mix and match speakers (1 Viewer)

Roger D

Agent
I want to do some quick comparisons in two channel stereo mode. I just bought new speakers and want to compare them to my old ones. I wonder if there's any danger in having a new speaker on one side L, and an old speaker on the other R, and then switching balance back and forth to compare. Could this harm my receiver?

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Will it hurt the receiver, probably not. Will it sound good is the question you should be asking.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
No, unless you reciever cannot handle the ohm ratings of your new speaker. And the chances of that are probably infintesimal.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Sorry Roger, didn't read close enough. Does your H/K have A/B speaker selection? Doing what you asked to test will deffinitely NOT harm your receiver. When testing the Athena speakers with what you had already you will probably notice a difference in volume for sure. If you have A/B switching on the receiver I would recomend doing that instead for a better comparison.

Roger D

Agent
I'm fairly sure my HK receiver doesn't have A/B speaker settings. Didn't even think of it but it would have been perfect.

Anyway, sounds like it will be ok. for a quick test. Then I plan on hooking up the olds fully for a while and then going back to the Athenas.

I have already noticed the difference in volume. The Athenas are much much more efficient than my old Technics.

Seth L, my commendations for remembering me from my other thread. It's easy to drown into the many posters here. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks