Mitsy 55411 and 3x4

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ric Easton, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

I asked this in another thread, but I think it got lost in the shuffle... so here goes...

I brought some discs into to Tweeters and played them on the 55411. Everything looked pretty good til I popped in an episode of Star Trek: TNG. I set the set to normal 3x4 mode, cuz I'm not a big fan of stretching or zooming into the image. Picard looked a little short and squatty and Riker looked like Orson Wells (the later years) Even though I could see the grey bars on the sides, it didn't appear that I was getting a true 3x4 aspect ratio. Could it have been the DVD player? Maybe set to progessive mode? The salesman thought it looked fine. He said that I would get used to it. I don't want to get used to it! I want things to appear natural. While I don't plan on doing alot of TV viewing on this set... I certainly don't want to have to look at any squatty Dorothys, Rhett Butlers or Ilsa Laszlos.

Has anyone noticed this on the 411? You folks who own it... are you getting fatsos when in 3x4 mode? Please take a close look and let me know.

Thanks,
    Ric

2. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Anybody? I think I may be leaning toward this set again, but I want to make sure that 4x3 stuff was an anomally or is at least correctable. Anyone have this set notice this?

Ric