Mitsubishi WT 46809 or Panasonic 47WX51"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ArnaudP, Nov 18, 2001.

1. ArnaudP

ArnaudP Stunt Coordinator

I am going to buy an HDTV before the end of the year but I don't know which one I should. I am undecided between the Mitsubishi WT 46809 and Panasonic 47WX51. Which one should I get?
    Thanks

2. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I have the same question,I'm looking into both models myself.

3. Richard_Huntington

Richard_Huntington Stunt Coordinator

I have looked at both sets myself and spent some time with the settings and both look very good. If I had to choose, I'd have to decide based on how they would look in my living room because both sets are exceptional. The Panasonic might have an edge because it is a bit cheaper and a bit larger, but the Mitsubishi has a nicer menu with some additional picture settings.
    It's a toss-up. Thankfully, my wife is moving in the direction 55 inches or higher for our HDTV. [​IMG] Bigger IS better.

4. Harold A

Harold A Stunt Coordinator

I have the Panasonic and love it. I have the PT47WX49 which is the model with out the screen protector. I also looked at the 46809 but every one I looked at in the store did not look that good to me. The Panasonics in store looked only slightly better but still pretty bad.

My descision was based on a few things. You can get the Panasonic for about $500 cheaper maybe more when you figure in the stand that you have to put the 46809 on. THe fact that there is no glare screen on the Panasonic. Also, the Pansonic is plently tweakable. If you look in this months Perfect Vision or I think last months Sound and Vision there is reviews of the Panasonic. They all say the same thing. I short the picture is outstanding but there are some features found in more expensive sets like individual picture setting memory for each input that are not on the Panasonic.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I have the PT47 and let me say that this set really needs a good ISF'ing to get every last ounce of performance out of it. Truthfully all RPTVs should be ISF'd but if you're truly looking to not spend that money, the Mits might be better out-of-the-box.
    Check out www.hometheaterspot.com they have great forums for all things HDTV.

6. Roger_C

Roger_C Stunt Coordinator

What kind of prices are you seeing for these TV's? There are the two I've been looking at. There's a demo of the 46807 for $1900 I was thinking of getting...