Mitsubishi WT-46807, should I buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carlo Medina, May 10, 2001.

1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

With the price reduction to $1998 M.A.P. (streets less than that) for Mitsubishi WT-46807, would it be a good buy?
    1. Does Mitsu have something comparable/better coming out soon at this price point? $2K is about my ceiling, so if the new Mitsu sets are going to be $3K+ they are out of my league.
    2. How does this set perform? Any owners, please chime in.
    3. I am most concerned with maximizing DVD performance at this screen size and price point. Won't be getting HD tuner until at least 2005 or later, at which point I'll be buying a new TV anyway.
    4. Any other set recommendations? I need a TV that weighs less than 200lbs (this one is 166) for ease of moving, screen size of 50" or less, prefer 16x9 screen, can handle 480i/480p/1080i and has an internal line doubler and the ability to bypass it if your source has a better line doubler.
    Thanks!

2. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

The 807 series are great sets. Thge 805 was already a good set and Mits made some improvements that make buying a 807 an easy decision. The 46807 I've been around certainly IMO rates with the Toshibas. My friend went to buy the Tosh 40H80, but wanted something a little bigger and the Mits 46" fit the room nicely. He bought his on sale last December for $2599.
    The only bad part is that the set needs a stand and adds a little to the cost.

3. Carlo Medina

Thanks, Timmy. Actually, I like my set lower to the ground (it lines up the center speaker with the other mains) so I might try it without the stand at first. I can always go back and buy it later.
    Just wanted to see what the story was on this set, it seems too good to be true. I know it's not the ultimate HD set (no 720p, etc) but for $2K and for what it does, I'm just making sure I'm not missing out on other, better values out there.

4. Carlo Medina

Dang! Now my local dealer has told me that they will be receiving the Panasonic 47" 16x9 screen with similar capabilities in late June! Plus it won't need the stand, and I'll be able to get it for considerably less since I'm very friendly with the dealer.
    The waiting game begins again, I guess...

5. Alvin Lau

Alvin Lau Agent

I just got my WT-46807, and I really really like it. The picture on DVDs is just amazing, and it should only get better once I get my red push attenuators!