What's new

Mitsubishi WS A48 vs SonyKP-46WT500 vs Mitsubishi WS48311 (1 Viewer)

Chris_Wells

Auditioning
Ok guys,

I've narrowed my choices down to these two sets,
Mitsubishi WS A48 and Sony KP-46WT500.

What I need to know is:
1) What differences are there, if any, between the Mitsu WS A 48 and the Mitsu WS48311?
The WS A 48 sells at Best Buy, where I get a discount.
The Mitsu WS48311 doesnt.

2) Which one is the "best" set?

I've done some homework, and found out the Sony only has DVI for HDTV STB's. Will that be a problem now or in the future? Most of the boxes I've seen have either component outputs or both component and DVI, not just DVI.
The Sony also does NOT have video settings memeory for each input, so I'd constantly have to change the settings, when I switch inputs (I could make a macro on my remote, for this, but, it seems like stupid engineering to me.)

The Mitsu's dont have DVI at all, but do have that rumored "red push". I'm leaning towards the Mitsu, but am looking for honest, objective opinions. HELP!!!

;)

Gilbert ^P

Stunt Coordinator
well i don't know too much about the Mitsu, but i do have the Sony you are speaking of. I am very happy with it. It is very easy to tweak in the Service Menu as long as you read on it. DVD's look great. Thre wide Zoom very works very well for 4:3 programming. things like red push can easily be fixed in the SM. Fom the reviews i have read and other peoples opinions, they say that HDTV looks spectacular(i haven't tried it yet). I'm sure the Mitsu has good features also but this is what I know of My Sony. good luck in your decision. i'm sure either set will make you happy.

Dalila

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Chris,

Well we were out looking and doing much research as well. We decided on the Mits 48311. We have had it for 2 weeks now and it is wonderful. We felt it had the best picture out of all the other sets in it's price range. It also has a huge feature set, and is very easy to set up.

The picture when we play a movie with progressive scan is just breathtaking. We also like the upgrade promise that Mits gives you, though that can be neither here nor there depending on the person making the purchase.

It comes with a very comprehensive manual which even I could understand lol.

As far as the differences between the 48311 and the one Best Buy sells. Off the top of my head, and esp at this late hour I can't recall all of them. I do remember one was... the BB one does not come with the colour-tuned front glass. I believe it just comes with a clear glass. It also is missing one or two other little features. I know if you do a search it has been discussed before what BB leaves out of their Mitsubishi RPTV's.

I hope this has helped you. Again, we love ours!!
;)

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
One big feature missing is the Color Balance (control of Magenta, Cyan, etc) for all 480i sources. The biggest thing not shared, though, is the ability to turn off Velocity Scan Modulation.

However, you can have both those items adjusted (and with your Hi Def inputs) by an ISF person for probably less than the price differenec between your BB discounted set and another retailers "x11" series. I have a 55311 and love it, but you have a pretty good discount waiting for you there!

Good Luck!

Matt

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
As many x11 series Mitsubishi's as I've seen, I've yet to see red push like it's previous models had. The 2001 Mitsubishi's were known to have red push, not the 2002s.

The only 2002 RPTV's I've seen with dramatic red push have been the Hitachi UWX series.

On the other hand, Sony's have been known to have a slight "blue push." It's very slight, but you can see it in just about every Sony RPTV. I'd rather have a slight blue push than a dramatic red push, though. That blue push might be defeatable in the service menu, not sure.

I've yet to see BestBuy's model in person. However, I have seen both the 48311 and the 46WT500, and they look like champs. Tough decision, good luck.

By the way, according to Sony's website, you get a free stand with the 46WT500. Not sure if they honor that from an authorized dealer, though. If you can get the free stand, that's a $200 value, I'd go with the 46WT500. I believe it's the biggest RPTV you can get that has it's own official stand.

As far as assigning your picture settings to each input, just use sony's 4 picture modes. Just remember which picture mode you want for each input.

Good luck!

Chris_Wells

Auditioning
Justin and all,

Thanks for your responses.
I really appreciate all the help.
Well, I ended up going with the Mitsu, I got it for 1k instead of the regular employee price. I couldn't refuse that!! I also got the recliner and Ottoman, although I would've gotten that with the Sony too. Dont think for one minute that the decision is final, however!!! If the Mitsu
doesnt perform as advertised, the Sony will get a shot....
I'll kepp you guys posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks