Mitsubishi WS-55313 or WS-55413? --BUYING HELP--

Discussion in 'Displays' started by StevenF, Dec 4, 2003.

1. StevenF

StevenF Stunt Coordinator

I have a decision to make and could use this boards advice. My old RPTV (Mitsubishi 50" Diamond VS-50803) went bad on the HD portion of the set. They replaced some parts, but it didn't correct the problem... so Mitsubishi directly offered to give me a Silver Series WS-55313 for $1400.00 or the Diamond WS-55813 for $2400.00. I don't think I can come up with the $2400. So my questions are this...

1. Does the WS-55313 get a better picture than my current Diamond VS-50803... one is Diamond (High-End) and the other Silver Series (Low-End) and I don't want to step down if you know what I mean.

2. If I can push to get the Silver Series Plus WS-55413 and only pay $100 or $150 more... is it worth it to swap up to the Plus model? Is there a huge difference in the picture quality from the WS-55313 to the WS-55413?

My big concern with all this is that I DO NOT want to get this new RPTV and find out it gets a worse picture than what I already have. I do not downgrade from what I have currently. I want to make sure it gets a better picture... or why else would I spend the money... AND is the Silver Series Plus that much better than the Silver Series?

Thanks for the help.

2. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I've been researching Mitsubishi TVs, and getting answers about them on this board is like pulling teeth! But if you do a search, I posted a detailed comparison of the features of all the 55x13 models maybe two weeks ago.

$2400 is a ridiculously good price for the 813. . .too bad you can't swing it. I'm considering paying that for the 613 (debating between that and the 313 for $1500).

IIRC, there isn't much difference between the 313 and 413 in terms of picture quality. The 413 has a more advanced NetCommand (the system for controlling all your hardware via icons on the screen), and "Quad Field Focus", which is an apparently bogus feature that appears to have been created so different stores can carry essentially the same TV yet foil price-matchers.

3. Cliff Olson

Cliff Olson Stunt Coordinator

Steven, I have a 65" Diamond (WS-65909), and am quite pleased with it. But, my dad is venturing into the HD world, so of course, I'm helping him out on his quest. We have pretty much narrowed it down to the WS-55413. It has a nice assortment of inputs, and the picture quality seems very good (at least in the dealer showrooms). I don't think you can go wrong with this TV. The Diamond seems like a steep jump up, to me. We didn't see any obvious improvements in terms of picture quality, but it's hard to tell in a showroom. I've never figured out how this NetCommand works either, so to me, that's a waste...

Those prices that Mitsubishi is offering, aren't that great - at least on the 55413. The 55413 is $1799 at a local dealer. I would think that Mitsubishi should be willing to take a good chunk off of dealer markup, since you're having trouble with your current set!

4. douglas-b

douglas-b Stunt Coordinator

Douglas Berry
    I just bought a 55413 and I'm very happy with it's performance. I looked at several Mit's the day I bought it and they all had a very similar picture quality.