What's new

Mitsubishi Warranty (1 Viewer)

Ken Ingram

Stunt Coordinator
I was at Frys Electronics purchasing a Mits WS65819.($2,269)And the
Salesman was trying to sell me the extended warranty . I said no thanks. Its a 1yr Parts and Labor in House and thats good for now and I Might Extend it before the Year is up.
And he told me It has 1yr parts and only 90 days Labor. I said no Its 1yr on both,he said only on Integrated models.I
checked Mits web site and Catalog and it says 30 days screen
1yr each parts,labor. Was this Guy Ignorant or trying to increase him Commision. I wont take delivery until thursday
so I cant check my warranty card .
Anybody know for sure?

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
Ken:

Actually, I have the 65819. My warranty explanation says:

"Thirty days parts and labor on screen, one year on all other parts. One year on labor. In-home service on all models."

Same as the web site.

That said, here are a few unsolicited thoughts to ponder...

You are correct... that salesman was trying to help himself by pushing the extended warranty and deceiving you in the process (whether knowingly or unknowingly).

Also, extended warranties USUALLY are a bad economic investment for consumers. This is because most things you buy that are going to exhibit problems will do so within 30 days, when you can return it. (Actually the greatest percentage is when it is first plugged in, out of the box). Then, out of the rest, most other problems will show up within the first 90 days (when it is probably still under warranty). Then, out of the rest, most other problems will show up within the first year (when it is sometimes under the regular warranty, depending on the appliance). Then, if you factor in the typcial cost of so many appliances (which are economically throw-away items anyway, since they are often more expensive to fix than they are to worth), and the math usually dictates that extended warranties are a major mistake, and almost always are 100% pure profit for the seller. That is why Best Buy PUSHES their salesmen so hard to PUSH you so hard to make this type of "added on" sale.

Now, with all of that said, I bought a five year extended warranty for my RPTV. It is only the second I have ever purchased. Why? They seem to be one of the few exceptions to the rule. Things do go wrong with them, seemingly often, since the technology is so complex, and especially since it is so delicate, and yet so new (new because of the circuits required for all of the HDTV formats, etc.) Also, the repairs on these can quickly turn out to equal the cost of that extended warranty -- often on the very first call. Finally, it is a major investment. I did not buy one for my VCRs, my DVD players, my receiver, my speakers, my laser disc player, any of the boomboxes, cassette decks, and smaller (inexpensive) TVs in my house. I DID buy one for my major investment -- my RPTV -- because it IS a major investment, and I have seen others post their repair bills.

They are often negotiable (as far as price). And, you do not even have to buy from the dealer (or even from the manufacturer). Try to negotiate with the dealer, and see what might happen. My dealer wanted $360 for a five year (actually for years 2 through 5, of course, since it is already covered for year 1). I ended up paying $199.00 for the same thing. Tell them you know that you can buy one from several outfits as a third-party deal. All they can say is no. You might research these third part warranties first, here on the Internet, before you try to bargain.

Just my thoughts,

-Bruce in Chi-Town

Ken Ingram

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce, thanks for responding to my post.I appreciate your in depth response.
So how do you like your 65819? What company did you go with
for your warranty?

Thanks

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Bruce:

I agree with everything you said....extended warranties are wasted on most appliances/electronics, but the RPTV is an exception....due to cost of repair. I've owned three RPTV's and two of the three required repair between the one year and five year period. The extended warranty paid for itself and allowed me to sell one RPTV (the buyer had confidence in what he was buying because it was covered).

The price of the SAME extended coverage varies from retailer to retailer. Both were offering Phillips coverage. One want $500 another wanted $350. I paid $200.

Good Luck and buy the coverage

Ron

PS: I bought extended warranty on handheld DVD player and glad I did. I've taken it back twice in 18 months. CC gave me a new one each time.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I had a free extended warranty on my CD burner(4x) that died. Futureshop handed me a new 40x burner in its place.

Kevin

Ken Ingram

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce:Did you get a good price on your HD Reciever?
The Best price I found was at Best Buy $499.99 (Hughes)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks