What's new

Mitsubishi Warning Labels (1 Viewer)

Jim_Hunt

Grip
I see the Mitsubishi RPTVs carry a warning label suggesting you limit your viewing of images which cause black bars more than 20% of the time.

Wide Screen (16X9) or Normal (4X3) both had the warnings on them. Do the other brands carry the same problem but without the warning?

I messed with several stretch modes on the 16X9 and I didn't like them. Will I kill every RPTV watching 4X3 without it being stretched?

I promise to calibrate the unit properly and take it out of Torch Mode as soon as I get it home.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
All CRT based units have this limitation to some degree, some manufacturers are just more upfront about it. Taking it off of torch mode definitely helps though, smart move.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Mits is mainly concerned with those who don't take the set off "torch mode."

I watched countless letterboxed dvds on an analog 4/3 rptv for 2 years with no burn in, but there was plenty of 4/3 stuff mixed in.

I don't know if HD-ready sets are more susceptible to burn in than analog models. I don't worry about the black bars on 2:35 movies.

I have a widescreen set now and to be on the safe side I use one of the stretch modes for all but critical viewing of movies that were OAR at 1:33. I use variable stretch for the news and most sitcoms, zoom for most tv dramas as they are mostly shot with 16/9 in mind anyway.

Sony, Toshiba, and Pioneer all have much better stretch modes than the Mits, as well as better line doublers.

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
The difference is that the typical 2.35:1 movie, leaving smaller black bars along the top and bottom, lasts 90 minutes-2 hours; with correct contrast and brightness settings, that's no problem, especially if once the movie's done you turn on something that fills the screen and let that play a half hour or so, to kind of 'cool off' the TV. But people tend to leave their TVs on CNN or ESPN News (or Grand Turismo) or whatever all day long, and if left in 4:3 mode even for one day, burn-in can be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks