What's new

Mitsubishi .vs. Pioneeer 65 (1 Viewer)

JaimeC

Grip
I would like to thank home theater forum for allowing me to join this fine arena of enthusiasts, professionals, etc..
To start off, I'm a beginner in the home theater business, and to be honest one, of the main reasons why I joined is to gather every bit of valuable information I can from anyone who can help me build my own home theater within the next month or two and within my budget.
With that out of the way, I have narrowed down two possible HDTV that I like. That is, unless someone else has an opinion of a better HDTV for my budget of up to $5k.
In the red corner, I have the Mitsubishi Diamond series 65" model #WS65908. I believe this is a 2000 model and retails for $4,999.99. It is not Direct Tv ready and requires the DTV box converter. I think I can get abetter deal now since the 2001 models are coming.
In the blue corner, I have the Pioneer model #Pro-710HD 64" and is Direct TV ready. it retails for $5237.00
Can anybody help me with comparisons for best picture quaility, lowest maintenance costs, and overall performance. Thanks.
JaimeC

Marc Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Both sets are DTV (Digital TV) ready. Both require external DTV receivers. DirecTV or Dish Network HDTV receivers can be added to either set. The sets are equal when it comes to DTV readiness (digitally or direcTVly).
The Pioneer has a better line-doubler for 480i upconversion. The Mitsubishi can be calibrated/tweaked to have a better picture than the Pioneer for 480p and 1080i.
If you are an average user (not a tweaker) or do not want to pay for a professional calibration, get the Pioneer. For more info on Mits tweaks or professional calibration visit THE SPOT

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Pioneer would be my choice. They make excellent hdtv sets. I have something close to the Pioneer. The Sharp 64 inch hdtv and love it. My friend has the exact same model as you are looking at and has had no problems with it at all. It looks great and if you are spending the money on a good hdtv, buy a progressive scan dvd player to go along with it. It is like night and day difference from interlaced to progressive!
------------------
"I'm your Huckelberry"

Daniel Mai

Stunt Coordinator
Mits. 65908 is a 2002 model, not 2000. I thought the Pioneer Elites cost a couple more grand than what you've stated. You may also want to consider that Mits can be separated into two pieces for easier moving or manuvering thru tight spaces/corners.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
As already noted, the WS-65908 is a 2002 model. The Pro-710 is the 2000 model and has been replaced by the 720 for 2002. Also, the 710 is 64", not 65". IMO the 710 is the better RPTV, particularly with interlaced and NTSC inputs.
But you might want to take a look at the Pioneer Home sets, specifically theSD-643. IMO, this set is also better than the Mits 65908 and costs a fair bit less.
------------------
Dan

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
This quote is SO FAR OFF! The Pioneer Elites (710 you refer to) is almost universally considered the finest RP-HDTV out there. No amount of "tweaking" will make the Mits (still an very outstanding HDTV) better then the Elites (unless you tweak the Pioneer purposely bad).
What makes your opinion more valid than his? The Pioneer Elites are universally considered the finest RP-HDTV 'out of the box'. Everyone knows that the Mitsubishi needs some tweaking to get the best picture out of it. The line doubler in the Pioneer is definitely better than the Mitsubishi but for less than the price difference between the two you can buy an Iscan Pro. These are both great RPTVs and you really can't go wrong with either one. If you want to buy the TV, set it up and forget it, then buy the Pioneer. If you want to save some money and like to tweak, then buy the Mitsubishi.

Tom Damico

Auditioning
I believe that you will find the Pioneer Elite is the best HDTV ready set money can buy. I also believe that the Diamond series Mitsubishi, properly calibrated, can get close. But there are other considerations. An analog picture (NTSC) is, quite simply, not going to be as good on any HDTV set as it was on your old analog set. This is where the Pioneer shines. Its line doubler is far superior to any other manufacturers'. But...a Mitsubishi coupled with a good line doubler such as an IScan Pro is still well over a thousand dollars less than the Pioneer and gives you many more options. First, the NTSC signal from either your cable or satellite dish will be markedly improved. Additionally, your picture from your VCR will be greatly improved as well, should you still have one. But you can throw in the fact that, your existing interlaced DVD player will now display in a progressive 480P mode negating the need to purchase a progressive DVD player. More savings. So, what you get with the Mitsubishi when coupled with an IScan is:
Improved signals from VCR
Improved signals from Digital satellite
Improved signals from cable
Vastly improved signal from DVD, a true progressive signal
Much lower total cost of ownership
I believe that this is not only the most economical solution but the best technical solution as well. IMHO.
TomD
I

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
The Pioneer is hands down better than the Mits. If you want to save your self some money then go with the Toshiba. The Toshiba has a way better line doubler than the Mits and the Toshiba is less expensive than the Mits. Why should you have to buy an external line doubler to make your NTSC look good. Good luck on what ever you decide.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are some great closeout specials being run by authorized Pioneer dealers on the 510, 610, and 710 Elite sets. I just bought a 710 from one of the very few authorized Pioneer dealers on the internet for $5100.00 plus $400.00 white glove delivery charge. At that price point and coming from an authorized dealer, I just couldn't pass that deal up for a set that is $8300.00 MSRP. At one time, I had both the Mit-65819 and Sony-65XBR2 ordered but canceled those orders once the 710 price was confirmed. I expect delivery of my set this week.
Crawdaddy
------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
But...a Mitsubishi coupled with a good line doubler such as an IScan Pro is still well over a thousand dollars less than the Pioneer and gives you many more options.
Or you can buy a Pioneer Home SD-643 for less than the Mits 65908 and still have a better RPTV, IMO. FYI, if you really want an external doubler, the money you save on the SD-643 will pay for it.
I believe this is a better solution.
wink.gif

------------------
Dan

PaulKH

Second Unit
JaimeC - see what a can of worms you opened?
biggrin.gif

Summary:
If you like changing your car's oil and tweaking a lot, get a Mitsubishi.
If the most tweaking you want to do is convergence (awesome 72 pt mode on Pioneer for EACH DISPLAY MODE if you want to) and Video Essentials or AVIA to calibrate, perhaps - get the Pioneer.
I have a Pioneer Elite 510HD, and it is an INCREDIBLE television.
Love that shiny black case too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks