What's new

Mitsubishi vs Hitachi (1 Viewer)

Rod D

Grip
I am putting together my HT system and am starting out with selecting a RPT. I have narrowed by search to Mitubishi and Hitachi. I am looking at a Mits WS-55411 and Hitachi 51" or 57" in the SWX line. I have had very good luck with Mit's tube TVs in the past. I still have one that I bought when I was first married 26 years a go, when they were selling under the MGA handle. I know that Mit's RPT have been around for every and have a very good rep. I have looked at both TVs and they both have very good pictures. Sooo my decision gets down to personal preference and features. Hitachi seems to be touting their "Hybrid Wide Neck CRT" as a commanding feature in their TV? What are the pros and cons of both.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Rod,
I have the 55311 and I love it. I went with the Mitsubishi due to the ability to tweak and the great financing they offered this summer. I haven't had one problem with it and it has done a great job for me thus far. Be sure to shop around, as the Mitsubishi's just recently dropped in price. Bring some familiar DVD's to view when you do go. Either way, let us know what you do!

Matt

Phil L

Supporting Actor
I'd go with the Mits. The hitachis up-convert to 540p while Mits can handle 480i/p natively. Neither have great stretch modes so you're not losing anything by skipping the hitachi. Plus, the Hitachi seems to have some sort of pastel/ blotch skin tone problem on some new sets.

John Royster

Screenwriter
I really feel both TVs are great, so there are a few cons with each:

Hitachi - pastel flesh tones in many sets (this is very annoying and it never looks right), 540p conversion, poor stretch mode

Mitsubishi - no 720p on a component input which is a big deal for xbox owners, poor handling of poor sources (but fabulous with good ones)

hope that helps. Any nonsense of "super duper wide neck tubes" or "diamond fine super technology" are marketing terms. Its the image that matters.

Rod D

Grip
Thanks for the help guys. It looks like Mitsubishi is the winner.
Now on to AV receiver/speakers/DVD player decisions.
Thanks
Rod

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks