What's new

Mitsubishi vs. Hitachi HDTV RP (1 Viewer)

FrankL

Grip
Michael
The Mits 311 is the same as the 511 except the 511 has the built in tuner.
It goes like this

311/511 Base Model with and without tuner
411/611 Base ( plus Quad Focus) with and without tuner

the 311 and 411 are gold series. The 411 is the top of the line TV without an integrated tuner.

the 511 and 611 are the platinum series. identical to the gold series except for intergated tuner.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Like I said, the SWX should be compared to the 511 and higher really...against the 311 it's not a contest for the same $$$$.
Frank, living in Canada, we don't have a clue about Mitsubishi (not sold here), and can't compare it to anything, because I can't see one. So, if I understand well, the 311 is really a 511 w/o the tuner? So then the 311 is probably good competition for the SWX, right? Just to clear things up a bit.
;)

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
NO,

311 has 4 element lenses..

511 has five EDF model lenses.

ALso, 511 has tuner and NETCOMMAND I think.

511 is two steps up from the 311.

311=gold / no tuner or netcommand
411 Gold plus (better lenses)no tuner or netcommand
511+ all integrated models.

Andre*C

Agent
I work with these tv's and there is a Huuuuuge difference in picture quality between the 411 and 511. The 411 has 7" phosphor electrostatic CRTs and the 511 has microfine plus CRTs. I called the mits rep and he confirmed what we saw in our store. He said the quad field focus didn't really make a big difference but the microfine plus CRT did. He said that the 511 will smoke the 411 in picture quality alone. I know he could have been saying this to boost sales of integrated models but he was confirming what we already saw in our store.

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
Sounds correct. It's why it costs more.

The SWX has HD-Wideneck CRT's and it looks alot better with better detail and resolution than the lower models do.

You get what you pay for.

I think 511 Vs. SWX is a better comparision. I'd still take the SWX, but atleast the 511 has some more things to offer.

against the 311, it's no contest.

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
Robert Harley, the editor at The Perfect Vision, bought the Hitachi 57SWX20b for his personal use. It's in this month's "as we see it" or whatever his opening editorial article is called.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I can atend to the Hitachis being reliable. I still have a Hitachi RPTV that my dad bought in 95'. Still has the same perfomance since we bought it. Except since then I was in 6th grade and now Im in 12th and have been noticing all the disadvantages of regular RPTVs.

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
Robert Harley, the editor at The Perfect Vision, bought the Hitachi 57SWX20b for his personal use. It's in this month's "as we see it" or whatever his opening editorial article is called.
From the editor column... I read that too.

Interesting how he leads off with the explantion of how difficult it is to chose a RPTV and how now is the time to buy one, then leads up to how he decided on the Hitachi himself.

I guess when and editor of the best Video magazine spends his own money on one, it must atest to the quality of the product.

It was interesting reading that.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I really think that all the sets on the market right now all have weaknesses and stong points. After calibration (ISF), each sets are almost looking the same. There is no clear winner right now. Just llok on all the forums, and you will understand.

The best RPTV for someone can be the worst one for someone else. It's not because a reviewer bought one set, that it's meaning it's the best. Did he actually see ALL the sets on the market now? They had some sets in-house to review (gifts maybe?), he sees one, then buy it. So?

Some peole prefer Hitachi, others Pioneer, others Tosh, etc. It's all personnal opinion.

i just bought an Anthem AVM20v2. I've read a review where the dude says he own a B&K ref50. So? I've listened to both, and I bought the Anthem. Because, FOR ME, it was the best choice. Am I stupid because the reviewer didn't bought that one? Nay...

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
Lévesque,

I agree with you completely. I don't buy anything based on reviews (though they are good for helping to narrow choices). However, the person who posted this thread IS looking for advice from someone else to help in making a decision, so I think it's appropriate to tell him that the editor of one of the best AV mags out there bought the Hitachi. And yes, I'm pretty sure Robert Harley has seen a LOT of what's available out there.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
You are right David. But I want to be sure the original poster will make his own decision, by going out and looking out at all the big players. They all have pros and cons. A review is not everything, but it can help.

All the opinions are valuable when it comes down to buying a set. But it's the original poster spending the money.

It's not a good idea to buy on the word of a poster. The best advice is to go out and look at different sets. That's the best advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks