Mitsubishi vs. Hitachi HDTV RP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luciano Pires, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Luciano Pires

A friend of mine is looking into both these HDTV's and is undecided on which one is a better deal. He is looking for best picture quality for the buck.

Mitsubishi WS55511 vs. Hitachi 57XWX20B

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    LPP

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Both are very fine sets. He can't go wrong with either. The mitsubishi offers incredible tweakability while the hitachi has a DVI input I believe.

3. Dan Ponze

Dan Ponze Stunt Coordinator

The Mitsu is probably a better buy but I'd spend the extra money and go for the Hitachi personally. It has both DVI and IEEE, easier to use controls, much better anti-glare screen, and the AV net function is incredibly simple to use with on screen display. It's also upgradable like the mitsu and just looks better IMO (especially in analog mode).

4. MichaelFusick

MichaelFusick Second Unit

The XWX is sweet.

5. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

Both are nice sets. Mitsu has, IMO, an easier and more complete user menu for convergence, color balance, and the like. Mitsu is very adjustable and can provide a picture as good as any TV out there when calibrated properly. As Dan mentioned, the Hitachi has DVI input, so you'd be covered IF (not when!) DVI becomes popular. Mitsus are second-to-none when it comes to reliability and longevity. Personally, I think the Mitsu looks much better than the Hitachi.

6. MichaelFusick

7. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

I must admit that the menu on the new Hitachis is a big improvement over their last one, but I still like Mitsu's better. A quick note on Hitachi's "117 point convergence." You can only converge the image at 39 different points on the screen. Hitachi counts all three colors (Red, blue, and green) 39 times to reach 117. Not exactly a truthful thing to advertise about their TVs, but not exactly a lie, either. My opinion, again different than Michael's, is that the Mitsu convergence is better. Bottom, line is that both TVs are sweet, buy the one you think looks better!

8. Dan Ponze

I agree with Michael. The new interface for the Hitachi is much better than the Mitsu in terms of ease of use. Manual convergence is more intuitive to use in the Hitachi, the Mitsu takes longer and the Hitachi auto convergence is much better than the Mitsu also. As for reliability I think both are probably about the same. I wouldn't say the Mitsu has appreciably better reliability.

9. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

So the hitachi really doesn't have a fine convergence control? Only 37 points?

10. Ken Stokes

Ken Stokes Agent

Interesting thread in that my friend has the Mits. mentioned and I have a 65xwx20b. I know what I like and his wife told me that after seeing mine up and running her husband told her "I made a mistake".

I'm sure you will be happy with either one but take as much time as you need for your eyes to tell you which one to buy.

Good Luck
    Ken

11. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Does anyone know if there are any differences between the 65XWX20b and the 65SWX20b besides the integrated HDTV tuner?

12. Dan Ponze

XWX has both DVI and IEEE. It also has a sweet anti-glare screen, upgradable via slide in card and has a nicer looking cabinet on the sides.

13. MichaelFusick

14. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Many Professional Reviewers don't even cosider Hitachi a player. Sorry Michael, I have read this in more than one place.
    Consumer Reports....[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. MichaelFusick

16. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

17. MichaelFusick

Those were last years models.

This years is a different story altogether.

Also, those were just people judging them, and not as scientific or exact the way I read it.

Perfect Vision reviewes are much better(written by ISF techs). Also it was back to back Pioneer ELITE vs the SWX20B model this month... You should pick it up on the newstand.. I think you'll be impressed.

The Mits had a nice review too by Gary Merson.

18. Ken Stokes

Ken Stokes Agent

The Home Theater "shoot out" was with uncalibrated TVs and judged by the office people at the magazine. There was even a note that said minor calibration of the Hitachi probably would have made it the winner in the finals.

Now I don't think there are very many people who consider Home Theater to be a "reference" guide anymore. Personally I think it's the worst of the bunch but that is just an opinion.

Ken

19. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

BTW, the tiltle of the thread is Mitsubishi vs Hitachi, and the Perfect Vision front page title is "Big Screen TV of the year Mitsubishi's stunning 55" HDTV". So it's Mit the winner not Hitachi...

I don't talk about the price or value, etc. But you talk about Perfect Vision, but I don't see the title "Hitachi HDTV of the year" on front page...

20. MichaelFusick

I guess that only shows to show you that both are good sets.

Worth noting, it was a $4-5k Mits high end model....

He's looking at the SWX VS. the 311, which is lowest end Mits.

Like I said, the SWX should be compared to the 511 and higher really...against the 311 it's not a contest for the same $$$$.