What's new

Mitsubishi TV concern (1 Viewer)

ChrisCosmo

Grip
I have just had this happen to me for the second time, and ive only had the tv for a little over a month. The television is a Mitsubishi WS55311 and i bought it from sears. I have already spoken with sears and they are sending a service technician out tomorrow to look at it, but when watching the tv, it has made a slight popping sound, at which point all of the video goes out. The sound continues to play, but the screen is completely black. If i turn the tv off for a few mins and then cut it back on, everything appears to be fine. Is this normal? My gut instinct tells me it is not. Is their some sort of protection circuitry in the tv to prevent it fom overheating, etc? Please help.

Thanks,
Chris

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Of course not.

Since you brought up overheating, are the ventilation slats in the back too close to a wall? And does this loss of picture occur every time you try to use the Mits?

ChrisCosmo

Grip
The tv is a good 5 inches from the wall. I tried to feel around the tv too see if it was extremely hot, and found nothing out of the ordinary. It seemed warm around the vents, but not extremely hot. I use the tv every day and its only happened to me twice now. The first was after watching a game on ESPN HD. The Television had been on quite a bit that day, but I did cut it off every few hours until i started watching it that night. Just now i was watching a dvd and the tv had been on for about 2 to 3 hours. So the problem is rare, but still has me concerned, as i spent to much money to have this thing screw up in a little over a month. Thanks for the help.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, describe this rare problem to the service technician. But there won't be much he can do unless he sees the unit fail. Have you considered calling Mitusbishi directly? I've often experienced more satisfying results by directing my queries directly to the manufacturer rather than to the store from which I bought a given unit.

ChrisCosmo

Grip
Contacted mitsu before sears, they said to get in touch with a service tech first and have them look at it, then call back if he cannot figure out the problem.

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
Definately not normal, and I would say that the TV being on for TOO long doesn't have anything to do with it. Mine is on, every day, for at least 8-9 hours, while my wife is at home with our kids. NEVER have had a problem with mine (WS65-909).

ChrisCosmo

Grip
Well, the technician just left the house, he said this is somewhat (though less common today) normal. If the tv gets dust or dirt in it during manufacturing/shipping/delivery or if the factory doesn't do a good job of cleaning the CRT's then they will pop and shut down momentarily if they burn off some of the garbage in them. He said if it doesn't stop in 6 months to call sears and tell them to bring me a new tv.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
BS! Thats ridiculous!!

You should not of let him leave thinking you were ok with his response.

NO ONE buys a tv thinking that its ok for it to shut down every now and then.

Id call Sears and tell them you are not happy and that the Tech did not correct the problem.

Id also contact Mitsubishi.

Dave Nibeck

Stunt Coordinator
That's crap. The clue in your description is ESPN HD. I had the same problem with my set. I don't have the notes in front of me but there is some sort of sweep that takes place when a set is placed in HD mode. During the sweep, if the set gets an unusual power find, it shuts down. Mitsu has a real sensative protection circuit. There was a trouble code that should have blinked (your power light). I would be real suprised in the tech had any knowledge of this.

I will look for my notes to describe exactly what is happening. This is a KNOWN issue for Mitsu sets.

ChrisCosmo

Grip
I don't remember if the power light blinked or anything, as i was too freaked out to notice, but next time i will pay attention. It also happened once while i was watching the panic room super bit DVD, so i wonder if the increased bit rate of the disk had something to do with the second incident, if i understand your description of the problem correctly. Better safe than sorry with the protection circuitry i guess.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Chris,
I have the same set. I bought mine 8/24/02 and have never had that happen. No offense to my wife, but this place stays pretty dusty and I have kids, so there is lots of traffic and I've never had anything pop or turn off. I haven't had one problem with it in almost a year. It has been 100% reliable and enjoyable for me, as it has for the several other owners of this set that I know.

I would RUN, not walk, to Sears and tell them to either exchange the set immediately or refund your money. If you bought with a credit card, you are still probably able to dispute the charge and since it's over $1,000, you have extra protection there, too. Don't wait 6 months or you will be left holding the bag and both manufacturer and store will be off scott free.

Do keep us updated on the outcome. I'm curious on how this pans out for you.

Matt

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I agree with Matt and he is right on what he says. Go to Sears and put up an arguement. Don't take NO for an answer because it is ridiculous to have a problem with a TV so soon, I have had my Mitsu for about 2yrs. now and it hasn't had a single problem yet.

The whole dust thing is BS also, the guy doesn't know what he is talking about, he just wants to get out of your house.

KSP

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken Porras
I have a Mitsu 57732 and after 9 months the lamp burned out. Then yesterday the yellow light went on and "off" went the TV telling me the ventilation story. So, I call Mits and first she told me to push the reset button, with no results, then she said to unplug it for 30 minutes and wa-la it went back on without the yellow indicator light. I turned it on today and no yellow light, so who knows... I think this will be my last DLP TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks