Mitsubishi - "The Rolls Royce of TVs" ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EGM, Jul 27, 2001.

1. EGM

EGM Stunt Coordinator

This is the exact phrase a salesman at The Big Screen Store said to me when I went there last night to look into home theater furniture.
    When I told him that I had a 56H80 on the way, and needed to look at getting some home theater furniture, he immediately scoffed and said,
    "That's an OK set, but if you want a real TV you should look at the Mits, they're the Roll Royce of TVs." [​IMG]
    Granted, as anyone familiar with The Big Screen Store would know, they deal strictly in Mits TVs. I can understand this guy trying to do his job, but knowing I already purchased my Toshiba, I think this was a little out of line, not to mention a little over the top.
    Since I am not familiar with the Mits line, and don't want to get flamed here, what's everyone's general opinion of the Mits sets? I recently read a decent article in The Perfect Vision that reviewed about 20+ HDTV sets. The three Mits sets overall were reviewed as 'not impressive' while the Toshiba 56H80 got higher overall marks.
    So, my question is, was this guy just talking out his, er...anus? [​IMG]
    GM

2. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

Mitsu makes some great sets, but the sales guy is a dork. The set you bought is great and I wish I could fit it through my front door so that I could get a bigger HDTV.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

3. EGM

EGM Stunt Coordinator

Matt,
    That was my initial reaction too. Of course the guy spent the next 20 minutes telling why my Toshiba was inferior to the comparable Mits set. [​IMG]
    First thing I did was measure my front door. [​IMG] I have about four inches clearance total. If I can get it into my one bedroom apartment then you can find a way.
    My problem now is selling my entertainment center to make room for the Toshiba... [​IMG]
    GM

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I would have turned and walked out the door right there. Totally uncalled for.
    I do own a Mits. and love it. I would have looked into Tosh., but I wanted a size between 45-50" and Tosh., does not make'em. My Mits. out of the box was viewable, but after 2 months and some tweaking the set is producing a beautiful picture.
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The Green Room | Rons DVDs
    [Edited last by Ron-P on July 27, 2001 at 10:01 AM]

5. EGM

EGM Stunt Coordinator

Ron,
    I agree that I should have walked out, but didn't for a couple of reasons.
    • The Big Screen Store is the only place near my domicile that I have been able to find decent HT furniture.
    • I really felt the need to cut this guy's legs from out underneath of him. I wanted him to back up his claim. All he could come up with was a pretty weak article from Sound & Vision magazine that wasn't even a review, but an announcement of a new Mits set.
    I am sure that the Mits sets are solid and, I know now that they are very popular, but like you, I felt he needed to work on his people skills if he is going to be successful in his choosen vocation.
    GM
    [Edited last by Galen Munroe on July 27, 2001 at 10:19 AM]

6. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

7. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Actually, I thought they were the "Cadillac of Minivans" [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

8. Chris_B

Chris_B Extra

Galen,
    I have to chuckle every time I go into TBSS. They really strike me as used car salesmen. Now if they were selling used Rolls Royces then that would be another story. Where did you pick up your Tosh?

9. EGM

EGM Stunt Coordinator

Chris,
    It's a long story, but I am getting it directly from Toshiba as part of a replacement deal for them breaking my 36X81 during the course of a three month service nightmare. If you are interested here is the link to my post about the whole story:
    My Service Story
    Part II
    Which TBSS do (did) you go to? The one off Rte. 1?
    GM
    [Edited last by Galen Munroe on July 27, 2001 at 11:41 AM]

10. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

It seems to me that the Toshiba RPTVs don't get the respect that they deserve. I've been shopping for a new 65" 16:9 HDTV for a while and I got that same kind of reaction from 2 different places when I mentioned the Toshiba. They were both obviously pushing their brand and didn't want to consider something that they didn't carry or didn't have as big of a profit margin on. I ended up buying a Mitsubishi WS-65907 (I get it tomorrow! [​IMG]) but the big reason for not buying the Toshiba was that my wife didn't like the cabinet. I would've been happy with it. I chose the Mitsubishi because of the nice gloss black cabinet [​IMG] and the availability of the tweaks that will allow me to optimize it to it's fullest potential.

11. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Yeah, it's kind of funny. When the ISF guy came he was all about how Toshiba didn't make very good sets compared to the Mits. He had just come from calibrating another guy's Mits and by the time he was done, he conceded that my Tosh looked a lot better!!! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

12. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

What the salesman said was totally uncalled for--very rude. I would have said I wanted to look around and then had another salesperson help me.
    There are alot of great TVs on the market and all have their strengths and weaknesses. I will be buying a Mitsubishi later this year because I can get a great deal on them, but if I was going to consider any of them the "Rolls Royce of TVs" I would have to say it's the Pioneer Elite.
    DJ

13. Kishu

Kishu Stunt Coordinator

The sales guy must be getting a "Rolls-Royce" of commissions for selling Mits TV I guess [​IMG].
    I had a Mits-I am glad I returned it for a Tosh!
    But when I was shopping around for HDTV, couple of dealers told me that Mits & Sony offer better margins and also treat them better than Tosh does-maybe that's why I have rarely seen anyone(multi-brand dealers/stores) pushing Tosh..
    Cheers,
    Kishore

14. MarkN

MarkN Stunt Coordinator

I would say the Mitsubishi's are the "Acura of TVs" whereas the Toshiba's are the "Hondas of TVs" Different price ranges for similar performance...
    I was interested in the Toshiba 65H80, after TPV's great review of the 56H80, and fantastic pricing. However, I couldn't find one decently setup Toshiba on display anywhere in the Houston or San Antonio area. No matter how good the reviews are, I was surely not going to purchase such an expensive item, sight unseen.
    Therefore, I got a Mitsu WS-65907 Diamond series, which I am completely satisfied with. [​IMG]
    (see my related post in HDTV section)

15. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Galen & Chris: What does TBSS stand for? The only shop I know of around here is Audio Buys off of Lee Highway (rt 29?) and they carry both Toshiba & Mitsu sets. I've never purchased anything from them yet, but other guys on the forum love the place. They also say you can haggle the price down if you say you were referred by one of them.
    As for your question, there are definitely better TVs out there than Mitsubishi. Since RR is an exotic car brand, I'd compare it to more exotic TVs; like Marantz or Faroudja. In fact, the Faroudja RP-5800 was once featured on the cover of HT Mag with the caption "The Ultimate TV?"

16. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

17. RichieL

RichieL Auditioning

TBSS= "The Big Screen Store". They sell only Mitsubishi big screen TV's. They do have an excellent selection of Home Theatre furniture. Some of it is more expensive than the TV's. I think you'll find the people that work there are more salespeople than enthusiasts. When I mentions "red push" to the salesperson in their Frederick store they said,” What’s that?"

18. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

All sets are going to have quirks, but from what I've seen, if you ISF your set (with a good tech like Michael_TLV, Louis Carliner, etc.) the differences between sets become much smaller. It's mostly out of the box performance that differs greatly.
    Yes, there are differences in line doubler quality, etc. but if you get sets that are within 10-20% of price with each other and ISF it, the differences are going to be very small afterwards. It will mostly be what bells and whistles you like from each manufacturer (like POP or different zoom modes).
    YMMV, but that's been my experience.
    ------------------
    My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

19. Eric Scott

Eric Scott Second Unit

They don't pay their "salesmen" enough to know anything except what the boss told them.
    Why would a "salesman" try to sell something that cannot be sold?
    I guess he didn't want to properly introduce himself: "Hello, I'm an idiot, can I help you?" [​IMG]

20. stephen abbot

This guy might have a valid point. Rolls Royce is by no means a good thing to have. An friend of mine used to work for the local RR agent as a mechanic, been to Crew for the factory training etc. Bottom line is the things suck, they had three year old cars that the AA refuse to attend to any more as they had weekly call outs to them!. They may have been the world best car in the 1930's, but the world has loooong since moved on. Notice how no one is keen to own RR anymore, the company I mean.
    Cheers
    Stephen