Mitsubishi Plasma

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim FC, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

I just saw Mitsubishi's new 50" plasma display PD5010 and I am very impressed. IMO, it rivals the Pioneer Elite 1000, which up to now is the best plasma display I've seen. It has a silver frame, which I'm not too fond of, and a pretty crummy remote, but the picture is great! And, most surprising of all, it has a DVI input! This from Mitsubishi, who has said all along they are dead-set against DVI. I imagine this means that either Mitsu's backtracking on that stance, or (more likely) that Mitsu doesn't actually build the thing... my guess is that it's an NEC display with Mitsu electronics. This is definitely a plasma worth checking out if anybody's shopping for one.

2. Joe Reed

Joe Reed Stunt Coordinator

WHat the list price on this plasma.

3. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

$11,999

4. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Mitsubishi was the second manufacturer (after Fujitsu) to get into plasmas way back when, but then they got out of the market after their first generation didn't profit (duh). This panel marks their return.

I concur it is most likely NEC glass based on the resolution. And the differences in contrast and brightness from the NEC panel also suggest different electronics, so I concur on that as well. I can't find any reference to DVI in the specs at the Mits website though. Link?

If it really has functional DVI (e.g. accepts its native rate), and it streets for $7500 or less, it could be an interesting alternative to some other panels with that form factor.